Amano Shrimp breeding journal

AnimalNerd98

After trying several methods, I have finally been able to keep the Zoe alive for more than a few days. The Zoe were released September 11, 2022. I’ve found that the strain that I have does best at salinity levels close to that of seawater (30-35 ppt, or 1.022-1.025 specific gravity). I tried 14 ppt, 18 ppt, and 20 ppt in the past and the Zoe never made it. They are in a 3 gallon unheated set-up with a sponge filter. I leave the light on 24/7 with blue LEDs to encourage algae growth. I still supplement with 3-4 drops of SeaChem Reef Phytoplankton every 4-6 hours. I learned a lot from this thread: 

Thank you @BettaQueen124 for starting the topic and everyone who contributed to it. 

4248D26A-F038-4E20-81A2-11FD074D5E5C.jpeg

7B6823C0-AE3E-4444-8425-EDEE600E8209.jpeg

7EA9469B-0A1B-4B52-A9C3-194FD909BAB3.jpeg

Edited by AnimalNerd98
  • Like 5

On 9/18/2022 at 7:04 PM, AnimalNerd98 said:

Yeah! There’s one about 10 minutes from me. Why? 

Sometimes saltwater only you can get various size foods for corals / fish.  I didn't have the stuff you had available, but I tried using the frozen rotifers.  I had no idea how often and how much, so you're ahead of me there.  Mine lived about ~10 days before I saw some pretty big die offs.

I also want to try again WITH a greenwater tank to use to feed them.

On 9/19/2022 at 3:39 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Sometimes saltwater only you can get various size foods for corals / fish.  I didn't have the stuff you had available, but I tried using the frozen rotifers.  I had no idea how often and how much, so you're ahead of me there.  Mine lived about ~10 days before I saw some pretty big die offs.

Ah, I see what you mean. I ordered the food on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YLJ822?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_ypp_rep_k0_1_13&amp&crid=1X1SISGKS465I&amp&sprefix=reef+phytopla

Hopefully they can last until adulthood! I will keep you posted! 

"I also want to try again WITH a greenwater tank to use to feed them."

- Yes, for this reason, I have an LED light on 24/7 to grow algae 😛 It's coating the sides of the tank really well, but not much in the water column itself. 

On 9/19/2022 at 3:47 PM, AnimalNerd98 said:

- Yes, for this reason, I have an LED light on 24/7 to grow algae 😛 It's coating the sides of the tank really well, but not much in the water column itself. 

yeah.  That's where I'm at.   I need to have a setup where I can run a tank JUST for green water and be able to feed some live foods. It's something I've been following @modified lungefforts with live foods and learning a lot.  I don't have a setup, but it's an awesome place to be and learn from so many experienced and passionate hobbyists 🙂

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 11:03 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Are they still in brackish/marine water?

Yeah! They’re still in marine conditions (30-35 ppt). There’s a range bc I just top off the tank with distilled water whenever I remember to 😂 Once they metamorphose, I’ll be acclimating them to freshwater 

Edited by AnimalNerd98
  • Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 4:28 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Found this.  Might be worth posting so I figured I would!

As always, exciting stuff. Loving seeing this full circle.

I actually saw this in another thread on the forum, so I watched it already, but thank you! Yes, it is all very exciting! I am counting the days for when it is time for them to be in the post-larval stage 🙂 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 9:24 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Easy by who’s definition?🙃

Exactly!  Lol.  It's all about making it seem easy so more people do it!  I think something Cory said a long time ago makes a lot of sense. About how when you want to breed them, do it at a big enough scale because it's easier when you can do it that way.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Bad news… I went out of town for two days and one night and there was a huge population crash. I’m not sure if it was because too much water had evaporated or because they missed too many feedings. Now there are only about 15 or so left, but their time for metamorphosis should be coming up soon! 

image.jpg

• Like 1