Is it kosher to ask someone local if they would be willing to share plant cuttings?

Schuyler

I think it was an Aquarium co-op video (or maybe it was a Girl Talks Fish video I've been watching a lot of aquarium YouTube videos...) Recommended finding others in your area and asking for plant cuttings for things that they've been able to grow well (since your water parameters will be similar).

In the forum guidelines it says

"No selling or giving away aquarium related supplies or animals."

Would asking someone if they would be willing to share or trade extra plant cuttings go against these rules?

As per the rule you quoted, I'm guessing it's not allowed (not 100% sure though). I want to say, I've heard ACO say they don't want to encourage plant sale/trade as they sell plants as a major part of their business. 

That said, as you get to know aquarium peeps IRL, they'll often readily share extras. I got pogostemon from my SIL, and with it my starter colony of ramshorn snails 😅 We didn't see any on the plants but she warned me they were more than likely there. 

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2022 at 11:37 AM, Anjum said:

As per the rule you quoted, I'm guessing it's not allowed (not 100% sure though). I want to say, I've heard ACO say they don't want to encourage plant sale/trade as they sell plants as a major part of their business. 

That said, as you get to know aquarium peeps IRL, they'll often readily share extras. I got pogostemon from my SIL, and with it my starter colony of ramshorn snails 😅 We didn't see any on the plants but she warned me they were more than likely there. 

Believe it or not, I added rams horn snails on purpose.  The bladder snails were a surprise though.

• Haha 1

I think it might even be illegal to sell/give away plants without some kind of license probably because of evasive species getting spread around. At least doing it here might be. 

But to ask someone local why not? I would ask them how much just to be sure they don't mind giving away the cuttings. 

I'm not positive what "is is kosher" means though.  lol