Gh up and down on new tank?

Lauren A

Hi, 

I’m hoping some one could help me figure this out.  I have a new 10 gallon tank set up for a little over 3 weeks.  I’m doing a fishless cycle with lots of plants.  I also added Stability the first week and add more with water changes.  The tank has nitrates especially post fertilization about 40ppm and no nitrites or ammonia.  

I am using an old HOB filter and biomedia that were both previously on a tank for about a little more than a year.  I  added more bio media and that’s been in this filter for 2 months, along with the rest.  Yesterday, I transferred most of the media, except for one of the old bio sponges and some of the matrix I couldn’t fit into a corner internal filter.  I still tan the filter continuously on a temporary set up for my plants and snails:  I’m running 2 filters now and will continue until I’m comfortable removing the HOB.  So, In the corner filter I have 2 bio sponges and a bag of Sera Mini biostones with some of the old Matrix.  The HOB has a real old bio sponge and Matrix.  I have a little filter floss in each one too.

I use conditioned tap.  My tap is filtered through a Hydroviv system to remove PFAS toxins along with chlorine, chloramines, nitrites and nitrates and other harmful pollutants.  This water has Kh 40, Ph of 7.2 and Gh of 150.  

I have a betta patiently waiting for his new tank.  He has been with me for about 3 months in a 2.5 gallon, with the tap and steady parameters .  This new tank, for some reason that I don’t understand ,has a Gh that goes up and down consistently.  It goes from 75 to 150 in a matter of days.  The Kh is always 0.  And the Ph is 6.8.

I know there are ways to safely lower and raise Gh but I’m concerned about moving him?  I’m not sure if this up and down with the Gh will harm him?  I just did a water change, about 40% on the new tank yesterday so I’m just not sure where this high Gh is coming from today.

I’d like to have at least a small amount of Kh, but I know bettas do fine without, but just for the sake of keeping my Ph steady, I know it’s good to have some Kh.  

I’m using Fluval Stratum aquasoil for the most part with just a little sand path.  I’m using big and small river rocks and mopani wood from my old tank.  I know typically aquasoils will soften water, I think anyway, and I have read river rocks won’t alter parameters.  Like I mentioned before, I have lots of plants, rooted, stems and rhizome.  

Curious, does anyone have any thoughts on what may be going on with my Gh?  Or other helpful thoughts in general.  I believe the tank is safe to add him in about a week, but won’t feel completely comfortable until I know what’s up.    I’d like to add my snails first and asap.  I am seeing some brown diatoms showing up on my hardscape and plants.  Not much, but some.  

I have been conservative with ferts, only doing half dose the first two week.  I have root tabs under my roofed plants.  This past week I started dosing Easy Green once a week as instructed with some Seachem Potassium the next day (not much just a bit) and for the first time a couple days ago, I added a tiny amount of Seachem Iron, half of the recommended dose, I think even less than that.

Thanks for your help in advance!!  I’d love to hear what you think may be going on.  

Edit: forgot to add that I also have lots of floating plants.

Edited by Lauren A
Floating plants

Hi,

Okay, maybe I put too many in to start out with. I will see if I can remove a couple and see what happens.  I wasn’t sure if it had something to do with the media in my filter.  That makes sense though.  Thank you for your help.  

Have a good night 

On 9/14/2022 at 6:46 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

GH is just calcium and magnesium. Something in the tank is leeching it into the water. Maybe the root tabs are the source.

On 9/14/2022 at 6:46 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

GH is just calcium and magnesium. Something in the tank is leeching it into the water. Maybe the root tabs are the source.

Hi again,

Do you think this will level off in time.  My plants have really taken hold and trying to find the root tabs without pulling the plants and roots out is tough.  Just curious.  

I’d rather hold off putting my betta and snails in  and patiently wait rather than make a mess and take the tank apart, but it is what it is and obviously I want to stabilize things.  

thank again!  

On 9/14/2022 at 7:13 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Look for the root tab break down and see if they contain it first.

They do, they are the Flourish tabs.  Mg .29% 0.06 water soluble and calcium 23.3%.  I could also add more plants?  

Thanks for your help 

I have some huge Val’s in a tub with huge roots.  Maybe if I plant those?

I also have a big red flame sword.  Lots of the roots disintegrated or melted because I had it in a bin for about a month.  It is forming new roots - it flies up on me still from time to time and it just did again, but I do see some fresh new roots.  It looks great, but is just taking awhile to take hold.

it looks great too and already formed a new leaf  

Edited by Lauren A

On 9/14/2022 at 7:27 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I suspect they are the culprit. I would do some larger water changes for a week and see if things smooth out.

It makes sense.  Okay sounds good.  Thank you very much for your help, again!  Btw, all the help you gave me last year (or beginning of this year) really really helped my plants tremendously so thank you.  🙏

• Like 1

I don’t think you necessarily did the wrong thing by starting with more root tabs. Often times I believe people don’t use enough often times when starting out. The swords will go through a lot of root tabs so don’t let this stop you in the future from feeding those. I hope the betta gets his new home soon. 

On 9/15/2022 at 3:49 AM, rockfisher said:

I don’t think you necessarily did the wrong thing by starting with more root tabs. Often times I believe people don’t use enough often times when starting out. The swords will go through a lot of root tabs so don’t let this stop you in the future from feeding those. I hope the betta gets his new home soon. 

Thank you so much for replying!  I figure over the next week I will do the big water changes and see what happens.  I’ve done one since posting and immediately saw a drop in Gh.  I’m a little hesitant on adding more easy green since that has the calcium and magnesium as well, but my water sprite , which I have floating has started melting a bit, so I’m going to dose it tonight and hopefully peek them back up.  They were doing so well after having already gone through melting after I first got them.  So I don’t know.  I will play around.  I wonT add him until I’m absolutely sure it’s safe.

I have a big Calistrinum Crinum, the sword, Val’s and crypts with my stems so I do think they need the roots tabs.  

If you have any feedback I’d love to hear.  Thanks!  

Edited by Lauren A
Water sprite not water lettuce, although I do have those too