Betta Tail Biting and Not Eating :(

JupiterBetta

My betta has beet sitting towards the bottom of his tank, he won’t eat, and I woke up one morning and noticed his tail was gone 😞 he started swimming erratically and breathing heavy, and he’s been hiding for a week now. This started about 3 days after the heat wave and I noticed his tank had been sitting at 82 for about a week. I’m not sure what caused this and I’m not sure if it’s tail biting or a disease. I’ve been putting antibiotics in the water and a little bit of salt. I moved him to a hospital tank and can’t think of what else to do 😕 any help would be appreciated. He seems to be getting skinnier and continues to hide and won’t eat anything. 

C7A71B43-1B7A-44BD-A97C-FB11D7561EAF.jpeg

3A0C5EEF-D7B6-4ECF-AFD7-746E8D159BF1.jpeg

CD8DDB91-61C7-4CBF-9D42-395BE47D66AD.jpeg

68B4CBDA-A58E-497A-9081-DC49F9452CE1.jpeg

On 9/12/2022 at 9:05 PM, JupiterBetta said:

My betta has beet sitting towards the bottom of his tank, he won’t eat, and I woke up one morning and noticed his tail was gone 😞 he started swimming erratically and breathing heavy, and he’s been hiding for a week now. This started about 3 days after the heat wave and I noticed his tank had been sitting at 82 for about a week. I’m not sure what caused this and I’m not sure if it’s tail biting or a disease. I’ve been putting antibiotics in the water and a little bit of salt. I moved him to a hospital tank and can’t think of what else to do 😕 any help would be appreciated. He seems to be getting skinnier and continues to hide and won’t eat anything. 

C7A71B43-1B7A-44BD-A97C-FB11D7561EAF.jpeg

3A0C5EEF-D7B6-4ECF-AFD7-746E8D159BF1.jpeg

CD8DDB91-61C7-4CBF-9D42-395BE47D66AD.jpeg

68B4CBDA-A58E-497A-9081-DC49F9452CE1.jpeg

https://www.bettacarefishguide.com/betta-tail-biting-what-to-do-how-to-prevent-it/ This website will most likely help you with your betta

Have you tried to feed him with tweezers? I did this when my betta didnt want to come to the surface when he was sick. I would take the betta pellet and release it inside his hut. He would eat it when it was released.

which antibiotics have you used?

I will try that! I tried API’s fin and body care antibiotic and that didn’t seem to be helping so I am trying Fritz’s Maracyn Oxy and I don’t think that’s helping either 😕 he still is at the bottom of his tank hiding and not eating. I also put a little bit of aquarium salt and I feel like he’s not getting better 😕 

I would add that you may want to black out the tank when you’re not observing him or feeding him. He may feel less stressed and more relaxed if he is kept in a dark environment, with nothing outside of the tank unnecessarily startling him or stressing him out. You can just drape a dark towel or blanket around the tank, nothing fancy. Sorry to hear that he isn’t feeling well. Hoping for the best for him and you! 

Edited by AnimalNerd98
  • Love 1