DO HORNETS LIKE AQUARIUMS, TOO? ​

DaveSamsell

A good question for our Forum 'Bee' expert @Daniel:

Noticed a few times last summer that we had a couple of hornets make their way into the house.  When looking for them, I noticed they always wound up to be on the rim of one of my aquariums.  Usually, they would head for a window, in years past, when I didn't have aquariums.  

I don't believe there was anything on the aquarium rim, attracting the hornets, but maybe it was the bright lights or they were just thirsty???  💡 

18 minutes ago, DaveSamsell said:

I don't believe there was anything on the aquarium rim, attracting the hornets, but maybe it was the bright lights or they were just thirsty???  💡 

I think you are right about being attracted to light. The interior of hornet nests and beehives are dark so the exit is usually in the direction of the bright light.

Honey bees and hornets definitely get thirsty and both collect water to bring the water back to their homes to supply the water needs of the colony. But once inside your house I doubt they had any water collecting on their minds. They are probably just looking for an exit hence the attraction to light or the rim of a well lit aquarium.

Beekeeping and fish keeping are very similar. We keep both in boxes. And in both hobbies novices don't know anything, and the experts know even less. 🙂

• Haha 1