TheSwissAquarist Journal

Hello everyone, I just thought it might be fun to start a journal.

Expect a post each week.

Today I added a new platinum angelfish to my 63 gallon, and sold 20 of my cherry barb babes. 

In the coming week I'm going to experiment with breeding BN plecos and Apistogramma Agassizii in the same aquarium.

I'm thinking about doing a variety of combos like this to help those who (like me) have to make the most of the space possible to them.

What combo should I try next?

(Arowanas are not on the cards🙃)

Have a nice day.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 9/13/2022 at 2:44 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Hello everyone, I just thought it might be fun to start a journal.

Expect a post each week.

Today I added a new platinum angelfish to my 63 gallon, and sold 20 of my cherry barb babes. 

In the coming week I'm going to experiment with breeding BN plecos and Apistogramma Agassizii in the same aquarium.

I'm thinking about doing a variety of combos like this to help those who (like me) have to make the most of the space possible to them.

What combo should I try next?

(Arowanas are not on the cards🙃)

Have a nice day.

Regarding your question in what combo you should try next, you could try 2 juvie Oscars and a few Convict Cichlids.

I'm excited to see how the breeding Plecos go!

Edited by anitstuk
  • Like 1

Just introduced the fish to the breeding aquarium.

pH: 6.7

BN plecos pair: one albino female and one 'normal' male. I'll note the sex ratio of the young and do the same attempt with an albino male and a 'normal' female to verify the differences.

A. Agassizii pair: Well fed and conditioned (live black worms and BBS), seem to be compatible.

@anitstuk, are you trying to give me the curse of the convict cichlids? 🙃

The tank I'm using is a 25 long, so the Oscars may be a bit cramped!

The reason why I'm using a 25 gallon because most people (like me) don't have the space for a 120 gallon for a pair of Oscars and Convicts.

@Zenzo; what would you say the minimum size is for an experiment like the one that @anitstuk suggested? 

Here's the current look of the corner with an Apisto cave behind the plants. I put the cardinals and neons in as dither fish.

image.png.2631bf259bde752f45a6a9b19a6c443c.png

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 10:26 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

@anitstuk, are you trying to give me the curse of the convict cichlids? 🙃

The tank I'm using is a 25 long, so the Oscars may be a bit cramped!

The reason why I'm using a 25 gallon because most people (like me) don't have the space for a 120 gallon for a pair of Oscars and Convicts.

@Zenzo; what would you say the minimum size is for an experiment like the one that @anitstuk suggested? 

Here's the current look of the corner with an Apisto cave behind the plants. I put the cardinals and neons in as dither fish.

image.png.2631bf259bde752f45a6a9b19a6c443c.png

Sorry but I misread that! 🤣 Oscars will 100% not fit inside a 25 gallon...

• Haha 2

• Administrators
On 9/14/2022 at 5:26 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

For a pair of oscars and convicts, I would say that a 5' tank at the very least (around 100 or so gallons). A 125 or larger would be better. 

Update: the BN pleco babies are doing well, they've grown to about this size (photo off the web) image.png.e0019f9daa25f40c843f5bc2dd186ea6.png

I've decided to do something radical, so I've moved the pleco babies out of the 25 gal, and my next project is a Apistogramma Agassizii x Cacatuoides hybrid!!! I'll be responsible with the resulting fry by not selling them if they're weaker than a tissue against a bullet. Although if they're amazing and viable....