Brand new Gourami and older (5 months in tank) both dead. Hoping to find answers.

Shmowgen

I hate writing these posts,

I was just in Aquarium Co-op today and bought a CO2 kit, one honey gourami (to go with my other three), a dwarf chain loach (to go with my other three), and two amano shrimp. I did my normal routine of acclimating them to my tank and installed the CO2. Then about 2.5 hrs later, I found the new gourami dead along with my other, smaller gourami dead. I have no clue how this could happen. Water levels normal. Did a small water change yesterday but that's it. I would have thought maybe the new gourami was stressed but I don't get how my other one died as well. Would really appreciate any help here. 

This is going to sound crazy but it feels like whenever I mess with my tank (water change, new fish...), something dies.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 8:34 AM, Shmowgen said:

I hate writing these posts,

I was just in Aquarium Co-op today and bought a CO2 kit, one honey gourami (to go with my other three), a dwarf chain loach (to go with my other three), and two amano shrimp. I did my normal routine of acclimating them to my tank and installed the CO2. Then about 2.5 hrs later, I found the new gourami dead along with my other, smaller gourami dead. I have no clue how this could happen. Water levels normal. Did a small water change yesterday but that's it. I would have thought maybe the new gourami was stressed but I don't get how my other one died as well. Would really appreciate any help here. 

This is going to sound crazy but it feels like whenever I mess with my tank (water change, new fish...), something dies.

Maybe there wasn't enough oxygen in your tank. How big is your tank and what source of oxynation are you using?

On 9/11/2022 at 5:57 PM, Colu said:

I would turn off your co2 system and add an an extra air stone straight away it sounds like you may have had you co2 set to high and it lowered the levels of desolve oxygen in your tank killing your fish 

@ColuIt hit me right after I posted that the third one was dead. I bought that Ista CO2 starter kit. There's no directions on how much should go in the tank, but to basically fill the chamber up. I have a 20 gallon tank. Should I turn my jets up to stir up the water?

@AndEEssI think you are right. Bought that Ista CO2 kit. That's the only major factor I introduced. I'm so pissed at myself.

On 9/11/2022 at 6:11 PM, AndEEss said:

What kind of regulator does it have? How many bubbles per second or minute were you running?

How was it diffusing into the water?

@AndEEssI bought that Ista CO2 Starter Kit that Aquarium Co-op sells. It's directions are pretty simple, just connect and fill the chamber so the CO2 can absorb into the water. No one told me if I needed to account for tank size or any other factors. Just plug and play. Now I have to go buy 3 new gourami's because the one guy is all alone. I should've asked more questions when I bought it.

On 9/12/2022 at 9:13 AM, Shmowgen said:

@AndEEssI bought that Ista CO2 Starter Kit that Aquarium Co-op sells. It's directions are pretty simple, just connect and fill the chamber so the CO2 can absorb into the water. No one told me if I needed to account for tank size or any other factors. Just plug and play. Now I have to go buy 3 new gourami's because the one guy is all alone. I should've asked more questions when I bought it.

Nothing is plug and play.

My CO2 system:

5lb CO2 tank

CO2Art Pro-SE Regulator. Controls flow, and timing of CO2 via smart plug.

Porter Instrument Company B-1267 Rotometer. Used to monitor flow rate.

Drop checker. Used to monitor pH drop.

Cerges Reactor made from water filter canister. Achieves near complete dissolution of CO2.

I'd suggest you read up on CO2. Lots of good articles here.

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/choosing-co2-why

On 9/12/2022 at 8:29 AM, AndEEss said:

Nothing is plug and play.

My CO2 system:

5lb CO2 tank

CO2Art Pro-SE Regulator. Controls flow, and timing of CO2 via smart plug.

Porter Instrument Company B-1267 Rotometer. Used to monitor flow rate.

Drop checker. Used to monitor pH drop.

Cerges Reactor made from water filter canister. Achieves near complete dissolution of CO2.

I'd suggest you read up on CO2. Lots of good articles here.

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/choosing-co2-why

Appreciate it. Yeah, I just meant that they made this canister kit seem like it was a simple way to get some CO2 in the tank. I've been wanting to do a more serious set up (already have a small CO2 tank) but thought this might be a nice way to try it out. Man was I wrong. Really appreciate all your responses.