Oh no, black beard algae - need help pls!

Lauren A

Hi,

I have a 10 gallon 80%  planted with large hardscape, bogwood and pagoda stones.  Sand in one section, soil in another.  There are 10 Microdevario Kubotai and 3 tiny horned nerite snails.  This tank has been up since the end of April this year.  I did a fishless cycle with plants and the tank has  remained very healthy.  Algae is typically readily eaten by my snails.  I dose Easy Green once a week.  I use tap water filtered through a Hydroviv system to remove contaminants, in particular PFAS.  

I did end up with a pond snail back when I initially set it up.  This was fine but now babies have started to pop up.  

I have black.beard algae.  I believe the culprit is most likely overfeeding.  I only feed once a day, but maybe too much?  I’ve never had nitrites after finished with cycling, no ammonia issues and nitrates sit around 20-30 ppm after fertilizing, although they do drop to 0-5 about midweek and post water change.  Maybe odd?    I clean it once a week on average 50% water change.  With minor top offs during the week for evaporation.  If the water change is larger than 50%, I add Stability.

I currently have two filters running.  A Fluval HOB 20 and a small Dennerle Eck Corner Filter. The Dennerle is mainly there to keep the surface moving since my tank is 50% covered in floating plants.  Plus the Kubotai enjoy good water flow.  I use the Fluval Nano Light on a medium to high setting.  

Ok, I’m not sure where things went awry but have over the last week or two grown black beard algae on some of my Pagoda stones, none of my plants yet, and I honestly can not tell with the wood because it is so dark.

I read a hydrogen peroxide 3 minute dip should take care of this but I also read it will kill the beneficial bacteria.  So, I’m stumped.  

How do I go about fixing this and is the algae harmful.  My snails won’t touch it.

If anyone can guide me through this, I could really use the help.  Here is a photo of the tank.  As you can I hope see, that large pagoda stone is pretty bad.   Thank you very much!

edit: pardon the reflection

07727E1D-8F4A-4038-B28A-01F1EAA6F5C7.png

Edited by Lauren A

On 9/10/2022 at 9:25 AM, Lauren A said:

I use the Fluval Nano Light on a medium to high setting.  

If you don't mind can you share your profile so we can see lighting settings?

I have black.beard algae.  I believe the culprit is most likely overfeeding.  I only feed once a day, but maybe too much?  I’ve never had nitrites after finished with cycling, no ammonia issues and nitrates sit around 20-30 ppm after fertilizing, although they do drop to 0-5 about midweek and post water change.  Maybe odd?    I clean it once a week on average 50% water change.  With minor top offs during the week for evaporation.  If the water change is larger than 50%, I add Stability.

Do you think you can get the nitrates to stay below 10?  When dosing ferts it'll be higher, but one of only real ways to control BBA is manual removal, removing their ability to bloom and spread in the water. The spores themselves have to be removed with water changed.  Once a week (especially larger volumes like you're doing) should be sufficient as long as you keep up with the manual removal process.  Siphoning leftover food, cleaning filters, etc. are ways I try to control mine.  I recently had to use a scraper on the wood because the BBA was tufted and hardened onto the wood and there was no real way to remove it without doing so.  It's a struggle, but the main method is going to be to keep removing it, keep on top of it, while you let your plants take off and outcompete it.

This means....

A.  Make sure the light isn't too bright (or that the algae is getting light, but not the plants, especially at depth)
B.  Make sure the ferts are in place for the plants
C.  Make sure carbon is in balance and the plant load is balanced (more on this below)

You have floating plants, which means those plants have free access to the carbon dioxide.  It also shades the anubias below (AWESOME SETUP!).  What you might try is adding some stem plants somewhere that are a bit more medium-fast in terms of their demand of nutrients.  This might be the nail in the coffin for the algae issue and balance the load so you have some very high demand, medium demand, and low demand plants.  This also gives you a slight variation in lighting demands and you can get a feel for how your lighting setup is tailored to those different lighting demands. Based on which takes off and does extremely well, the most new growth, then you'd have an idea of whether or not the floaters are blocking out the stems, whether the slower growing plants are getting what they need, etc.

Here is a photo of the tank.  As you can I hope see, that large pagoda stone is pretty bad.   Thank you very much!

I would give the tank you have right now a bit more time to grow in. If you still see issues, then I would try to add the above mentioned.  Use something like a toothbrush or stiff bristle brush on the rock to try to remove the algae from the stone surface. Because it's large and flat it should be relatively easy once you find the brush that works for your scape and setup.  If that doesn't work then you can try something similar to:

ada-pro-brush.jpg.e394c41d831111d719d9a17c5255eaaa.jpg

which is a steel bristle brush. This might be harsh on soft rocks, but it is an option.  Just keep an eye out that the steel strands don't make their way to the bottom of the tank and harm the fish.  Something like stainless steel mesh might also work.  On my setup I use a toothbrush, and a dish sponge, but given the ridges and crevices in your rocks you'd likely need to use a brush 🙂 .

Do this before the big water change, clean the filters, etc. and that should push the algae back.  You can also use the toothbrush on the anubias leaves if you hold the leaf itself and then gently brush it.  I end up popping off the anubias 9 times out of 10 😞 but supporting the whole lead with your hand makes the toothbrush a lot more effective at removing the algae on the leaves, especially around the edges.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 2:48 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

If you don't mind can you share your profile so we can see lighting settings?

Do you think you can get the nitrates to stay below 10?  When dosing ferts it'll be higher, but one of only real ways to control BBA is manual removal, removing their ability to bloom and spread in the water. The spores themselves have to be removed with water changed.  Once a week (especially larger volumes like you're doing) should be sufficient as long as you keep up with the manual removal process.  Siphoning leftover food, cleaning filters, etc. are ways I try to control mine.  I recently had to use a scraper on the wood because the BBA was tufted and hardened onto the wood and there was no real way to remove it without doing so.  It's a struggle, but the main method is going to be to keep removing it, keep on top of it, while you let your plants take off and outcompete it.

This means....

A.  Make sure the light isn't too bright
B.  Make sure the ferts are in place for the plants
C.  Make sure carbon is in balance and the plant load is balanced (more on this below)

You have floating plants, which means those plants have free access to the carbon dioxide.  It also shades the anubias below (AWESOME SETUP!).  What you might try is adding some stem plants somewhere that are a bit more medium-fast in terms of their demand of nutrients.  This might be the nail in the coffin for the algae issue and balance the load so you have some very high demand, medium demand, and low demand plants.  This also gives you a slight variation in lighting demands and you can get a feel for how your lighting setup is tailored to those different lighting demands. Based on which takes off and does extremely well, the most new growth, then you'd have an idea of whether or not the floaters are blocking out the stems, whether the slower growing plants are getting what they need, etc.

I would give the tank you have right now a bit more time to grow in. If you still see issues, then I would try to add the above mentioned.  Use something like a toothbrush or stiff bristle brush on the rock to try to remove the algae from the stone surface. Because it's large and flat it should be relatively easy once you find the brush that works for your scape and setup.  If that doesn't work then you can try something similar to:

ada-pro-brush.jpg.e394c41d831111d719d9a17c5255eaaa.jpg

which is a steel bristle brush. This might be harsh on soft rocks, but it is an option.  Just keep an eye out that the steel strands don't make their way to the bottom of the tank and harm the fish.  Something like stainless steel mesh might also work.  On my setup I use a toothbrush, and a dish sponge, but given the ridges and crevices in your rocks you'd likely need to use a brush 🙂 .

Do this before the big water change, clean the filters, etc. and that should push the algae back.  You can also use the toothbrush on the anubias leaves if you hold the leaf itself and then gently brush it.  I end up popping off the anubias 9 times out of 10 😞 but supporting the whole lead with your hand makes the toothbrush a lot more effective at removing the algae on the leaves, especially around the edges.

Thank you so so much!!!  I will do exactly this.  I was so nervous I’d have to take the tank apart and re-cycle.  Do you happen to have a link for your scraper?  I tried getting in there with a course unused media foam but it wouldn’t budge (although there was a small amount of black on it) so this brush will do the trick.  

I actually have a new cycling 10 gallon with tons of plants and plenty of Hygro Polysperma I can snip and move over.  

Also, here are my light settings and times.  Is this what you meant?  It may be too long.  But yes, I definitely wanted some shade for the rhizome plants and fish.  I also need to give the Fluval filter a cleaning.  It’s been over a month now.  I will do that now.  

As far as the nitrates, do you think I should dose less ferts?  I use the Easy Green at 0.8ml a week.  I could cut back though, or maybe do twice a week with 0.4ml - I figure there’s probably about 8 gallons in the tank.  One thing I have noticed is the Val’s grow but not very quick and I do still need to cut off a dead blade here and there.  They are starting to propagate finally, but still not sure how happy they are.  F2817689-BA30-4783-994F-24CA08EB45F7.png.4c57161009b45e838a181bb8fa752c62.png

Thank you for your kind words too!  The Kubotai seem to be very happy.  

On 9/10/2022 at 2:11 PM, JoeQ said:

Looks great! I wouldn't do a thing except keep doing what your doing! 

Thank you so much!  I only have one friend in the hobby in general.  So I share pics with her and get some feedback but feels nice you like it!  

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 12:09 PM, Lauren A said:

F2817689-BA30-4783-994F-24CA08EB45F7.png.4c57161009b45e838a181bb8fa752c62.png

You can name the light if that helps!
I would keep everything you have, just drop the blue down to 10% or below and see if that helps as well. (1-5% at the moonlight is what I usually go for)

On 9/10/2022 at 12:09 PM, Lauren A said:

Thank you so so much!!!  I will do exactly this.  I was so nervous I’d have to take the tank apart and re-cycle.  Do you happen to have a link for your scraper?  I tried getting in there with a course unused media foam but it wouldn’t budge (although there was a small amount of black on it) so this brush will do the trick.  

You're gonna laugh, but it totally worked:

I have a video at the end of this post 🙂

I would only recommend that technique for wood, not for rock though.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 3:24 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

You can name the light if that helps!
I would keep everything you have, just drop the blue down to 10% or below and see if that helps as well. (1-5% at the moonlight is what I usually go for)

You're gonna laugh, but it totally worked:

I have a video at the end of this post 🙂

I would only recommend that technique for wood, not for rock though.

Hi!

Nice!  I give you so much credit for all that work!  Talk about stubborn.  So, I’m wondering, if I scrape and brush this off in the tank, since it will probably throw algae dust all over the place, will it just make things worse and spread elsewhere.  And if I leave a filter running during with a prefilter sponge, that shouldn’t cause it to “infect” my filter with it?  Just trap it?  I feel fortunate it hasn’t coated my plants just yet, but my time is limited.  

I’m thinking I could try brushing(toothbrush didn’t work so I will buy a metal bristle brush) while using the turkey baster or siphon to suck it up (with my third hand 😆 - I think this type of maintenance requires an extra hand sometimes).  But still not sure my lil snails will eat it to clean things up for me.  I’m not sure if they aren’t eating it just because it’s so stuck on, or if they don’t like the taste.  You have a beautiful clean up crew btw!  And your tank looks lovely all cleaned up!  

I will definitely adjust the blue light.  Thank you! And I usually do name the light settings so I’m not sure if at some point I adjusted it and forgot to rename it since I play around with the settings at times.  But thanks for the reminder on this!  I cleaned the filter out yesterday.  I think I will check my phosphate levels too.  I forgot I have a test kit for this.  

I know it’s definitely a process and will take some time, but hopefully I can get a handle on it before it overtakes the tank and my plants suffer.  I really appreciate your help!  I will update this post with my progress!  

I hope you have a nice day!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 8:46 AM, Lauren A said:

Nice!  I give you so much credit for all that work!  Talk about stubborn.  So, I’m wondering, if I scrape and brush this off in the tank, since it will probably throw algae dust all over the place, will it just make things worse and spread elsewhere.  And if I leave a filter running during with a prefilter sponge, that shouldn’t cause it to “infect” my filter with it?  Just trap it?  I feel fortunate it hasn’t coated my plants just yet, but my time is limited.  

yeah exactly.  You'd want to do one of two things.

A.  leave everything running, clean it after scraping.
B.  turn everything off, let it try to settle, siphon it, then clean everything.

Unfortunately it's very hard to control. The only real method is to out compete it.

I think I will check my phosphate levels too.  I forgot I have a test kit for this.

That's awesome. Interested to see what you're dealing with.

I’m thinking I could try brushing(toothbrush didn’t work so I will buy a metal bristle brush) while using the turkey baster or siphon to suck it up (with my third hand 😆 - I think this type of maintenance requires an extra hand sometimes).  But still not sure my lil snails will eat it to clean things up for me.  I’m not sure if they aren’t eating it just because it’s so stuck on, or if they don’t like the taste.  You have a beautiful clean up crew btw!  And your tank looks lovely all cleaned up!  

I have seen some videos on green aqua and stuff where they go ahead and use the siphon to get muck up from the top layer of gravel, and then use the siphon to get it out right away.  They actually mod the siphon to have the baster at the end!  It's kind of a crazy setup, but it's something they do need too many hands for, I totally agree.

On 9/11/2022 at 5:54 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

yeah exactly.  You'd want to do one of two things.

A.  leave everything running, clean it after scraping.
B.  turn everything off, let it try to settle, siphon it, then clean everything.

Unfortunately it's very hard to control. The only real method is to out compete it.

That's awesome. Interested to see what you're dealing with.

I have seen some videos on green aqua and stuff where they go ahead and use the siphon to get muck up from the top layer of gravel, and then use the siphon to get it out right away.  They actually mod the siphon to have the baster at the end!  It's kind of a crazy setup, but it's something they do need too many hands for, I totally agree.

That’s so funny, I saw a video doing the same with the siphon and baster.  The guy actually attached the two with an elastic band, I think.  I will have to search for it to get a better handle on his technique.  I don’t know what I would do without forums and YouTube.

Thank you again for your help!  I will play around and see what makes the most sense with the filter once I get going.

have a great day.  Take care!

• Thanks 1