Help! Chili Rasboras showing discoloration

Nina

I received some juvenile chili rasboras about two months ago and, after letting them grow out in a 5 gallon tub, moved them into a 10 gallon planted tank with three green rasboras last week. The chilis are still tiny, but they seemed hardy during the grow-out and had colored up nicely.  It's been a week in the 10 gallon and I've noticed discoloration on them. On the first half of their bodies they have a yellowish color and some subdued patches. They are still moving and eating well, but I'm not sure what's happening or what I should use to treat them. It seems to be affecting almost all of them. 

Ammonia - 0; nitrite - 0; nitrate - 10 ppm; GH - 40 (low, but similar to their grow out tank); PH - 6.4 (low but similar to the grow out tank); Chlorine - 0.  water temp is around 78 degrees Fahrenheit. 

I've seen a similar disease in one neon tetra months ago -- it started with discolored patches, didn't respond to meds, and eventually wasted away. It only affected the one tetra and I eventually euthanized that fish when he became very emaciated over the course of a few months. It didn't spread to the others and that school was moved to a larger tank last week before adding the chilis to the 10 gallon. 

This seems to be affecting most of the school at this point. Is this bacterial? Fungal? Stress? The three green rasboras are a little larger and faster, (there are 8 chilis) but everyone is getting plenty of food (baby brine and some crushed up flake food). There is more flow in the 10 gallon than the grow-out tank, so I may turn off the filter for a bit. 

Any ideas how to save them? It took me a really long time to acquire these fish and I just LOVE them. 

IMG_20220910_112603682_MP.jpg

It's difficult to tell of your picture but what your describing with the discoloration could be a bacteria infection or the discoloration could be caused by stress what I would do is a course of kanaplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days to cover against any possible bacteria infection 

IMG_20220714_201326.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, so I ordered kanaPlex and it will arrive tomorrow but the fish are going downhill quickly. I first noticed the discoloration yesterday, took some photos this morning and now, a few hours later, the discoloration is much worse and has spread. The chilis look almost yellow.  I don't know if they'll make it until tomorrow. 

I just did a 20% water change, added a low dose of salt, some ich x, and a half dose of general cure (what I had on hand). I'm not sure how much these little ones can take since they are still juveniles. 

If it's bacterial, should I dose erythromycin (I have some)? Or wait on the Kanaplex + focus (arriving sometime tomorrow). I may be able to go to petco or petsmart and it looks like they may have API fin and body cure (not sure what those ingredients are, but maybe they would help).  

This seems to be progressing really fast. I will post new photos in an hour or so once the water clears up from the water change. 

Here are some post water change pictures (not great, but I'll get some more when it clears up).  The redish one still looks okay, but as you can tell the others are almost yellow. This is a huge change from this morning. Whatever is at work is moving fast. These guys were so hardy through their grow-out and quarantine. I hate that something in this 10 gallon must have sickened them. Not sure what type of illness this is. 

4pm.jpg

You could be dealing with columnaris the most effective treatment I have found is kanaplex and jungle fungus clear fizz tab's containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan columnaris is a gram negative bacteria infection what I would do is water change out the ick x and general cure as they will have no effect on columnaris and maracyn is more effective against gram positive bacteria it does treat some gram negative bacteria if you can get API fin and body cure active ingredient is doxycycline I would use that as it treats gram negative bacteria and salt till you can get kanaplex and jungle fungus clear fizz tab's @Nina

IMG_20220714_201545.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

The little guys are hanging on and things haven't gotten much worse in the last few hours. I've done some water changes and cleaning, and I was able to get some API fin and body cure before the store closed tonight (kanaplex and other meds coming via amazon sometime tomorrow). I think I'll do one more water change to make sure I've gotten out the ich x and general cure before putting in some of the API fin and body cure later tonight.  

So far these have been some of the hardiest juveniles I've ever had, so I'm optimistic they might make it through this with all the great guidance I'm getting on this forum. Thanks! I'll keep you all updated.

• Like 1

They made it through the night and are looking a little better.  After a lot of research I learned that two things can really help (in addition to the meds described above):  1) lowering the temp below 75 and 2) salt.  Even though it's a planted tank I went ahead and added a few tablespoons of salt (it's a 10 gallon) and lowered the temp down to 72.  The fish are already looking better. Kanaplex is coming today, so hopefully that will really help me beat it.  

I know I'll end up hurting the plants with the salt, but I also know I can regrow those.  The chilis took me about a year to find in stock so I will be really happy if they survive. 

Update:  The fish are doing okay (swimming and eating just fine).  They are still discolored with some muted red and yellowish patches but they haven't gotten worse since yesterday afternoon (I put in the API fin and body cure last night). I also lowered the temp below 75 (which is supposed to slow columnaris) and added a moderate dose of salt (yes, it's a planted tank, but I'd rather lose the plants than the chili rasboras). I also stopped the filter to reduce stress and added a second air stone. I'm keeping a close eye on the water parameters and changing water as needed. Pics attached.

The API fin and body cure really seems to be helping and the Kanaplex and other meds arrive today. They aren't out of the woods, but the illness has stopped progressing as aggressively as it was yesterday. Yay!

Pic from this morning attached. You can still see the discoloration, but it's stayed about the same since last night. #update

9 am. Sun..jpg

9 am Sun..jpg

Edited by Nina