Coptodon kottae

Brian Scott

Tonight in the fishroom, a pair of young Coptodon kottae are guarding their first spawn. C, kottae is an endangered species of cichlid that's endemic to Lake Barombi-ba-Kotto, and the smaller nearby Lake Mboandong, in the Southwest Region of Cameroon. This is a substrate-brooding, benthopelagic fish, which has a maximum length of about 15 centimeters (6 inches or so). In my lifetime, this species will likely be extinct in the wild.

https://www.facebook.com/brian.scott.10690203

IMG_6766 (2).JPG

• Like 3

Brian, thank you for continuing to help with fish that are almost extinct in the wild. It is awesome that folks like you keep these rare fish and work on breeding them to keep the species alive. Look forward to seeing the babies grow up. Please post as they grow. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 6:15 AM, Garren B said:

Brian, thank you for continuing to help with fish that are almost extinct in the wild. It is awesome that folks like you keep these rare fish and work on breeding them to keep the species alive. Look forward to seeing the babies grow up. Please post as they grow. 

Thank you very much for the nice words.  I'm happy to keep fishes like these C. kottae and others that are near extinct in the wild.  As much as I do like thinking that I'm helping "preserve" the species, in reality the best way to help keep these fishes from extinction is to preserve their natural habitat.  Simple measures can and should be put in place in their native waters that would far surpass any efforts put forth by home hobbyists, but those countries, typically, are not interested in anything but making money.  It's such a shame.  Meanwhile, I'll be happy to post up some new pix of these soon......they are growing like weeds!

Cheers!!

• Like 1