No More drilling aqueon tanks 😭

FishyMike

So I just shattered my 2nd tank ever it was a 55 by aqueon! I was baffled I did like 15 tanks before everything was perfect and pop shattered to a billion pieces!! I said to my self wtf was that. I looked on aqueons website and it says only tempered on the bottom upon a call to aqueon I was informed for about a year since a glass shortage they make everything over a 40 with tempered glass!!! Soooo now what this really stinks😣.  In search for a 2 year old 55 gallon I guess. Last 2 tanks to complete the fish room and I can’t drill them lame!

• Sad 1

Wow this is timely, I hadn't heard about it. I bought a new 40 gallon breeder about 6 weeks ago, but above @Mikeoyou're saying that aqueon says it's only the tanks above 40 gallons that are all-tempered? So I should be safe to drill my new 40B? Not holding you to the answer, just looking for your confirmation that that's what you heard from the mfr. 

Still processing... I can check with polarized sunglasses I suppose. 🤓

I would expect glass shortages to get worse too.  Glass manufacturing is an energy intensive business and many US plants have closed. Two from my youth in a neighboring town (Anchor Hocking and Gaynor) are gone. Soth Jersey used to be a glass manufacturing hub with plants in Salem, Bridgeton, Glassboro, and Millville, but most are now gone. The energy costs and regulations have largely killed the domestic industry. Glass is heavy and fragile to ship long distances and with limited domestic production, the supply will likely be low for a while. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

On 9/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, Mikeo said:

So I just shattered my 2nd tank ever it was a 55 by aqueon! I was baffled I did like 15 tanks before everything was perfect and pop shattered to a billion pieces!! I said to my self wtf was that. I looked on aqueons website and it says only tempered on the bottom upon a call to aqueon I was informed for about a year since a glass shortage they make everything over a 40 with tempered glass!!! Soooo now what this really stinks😣.  In search for a 2 year old 55 gallon I guess. Last 2 tanks to complete the fish room and I can’t drill them lame!

I would list that you are look for those on Craigslist. I posted a wtb on there for a tank over 100g. With 24 hours I had a 125g 6 months old with the stickers still on the back of the tank for less $100. I’m not sure how popular tank are near you but I have done this a few times and it never had to wait more than 4 or 5 days 

• Like 2