caribsea aragonite sand for freshwater

Rosebud

I am new in fish hobby. Actually it is my 5 year old son who likes to have fish, but that started it all, and here I am more interested than ever. I just got a 29 gal tank from Petco (they are on sale), I am just thinking of getting different kinds of neon tetras, and perhaps some golden gourami as centerpiece (suggestion is appreciated). On this note, my cousin gave me a 40lbs caribsea aragonite ( CaribSea ACS00050 Aragonite Reef Sand for Aquariumwhich I like because of its grain size and color and it helps the cost down for a new setup. I know the aragonite will raise the PH of the water, but what would be a good mix with the aragonite so as not the raise the PH that high? or if anyone could suggest a cheaper aquarium soil (that supplies nutrients and whatever for live plants) and substrate would be of great help. Our water hardness here in Virginia is just average if that helps.

I would not recommend aragonite sand for the above listed fish. If inert sand (will not change water chemistry) is what you are after it can be had for cheap at garden supply stores or home depot. 

There is nothing cheaper than organic soil which many aquarists here use for their planted tanks. It is called a “Walstad tank” and there are many articles on it. You can cap it with play sand so as to not cloud the water.

• Thanks 1

I agree with not using it for the above fish. If you were going to stock with livebearers such as mollies, guppies, and platies, then I would consider it, especially of your tap water was softer than average, and below 7.0 PH. Otherwise it just shouldn't be needed.

Thank you both for your responses. I forgot to mention I also have the fluval stratum I think (the one with the red label, not the blue labeled with "bio... something". If the aragonite will not work. Will this fluval work as underneath substrate in a media then topped with a course sand as final substrate? If so, any suggestion on a course sand product? (I'm not really liking the appearance of fine sand). Thanks again. BTW I will look into the Walstad tank also later when I get home. Also would you happen to have a suggestion on the leveling mat. Others say the yoga mat is not sufficient as leveling mat.

Aragonite sand is best used with African Cichlids that require/appreciate a much higher Ph.  I would say a definite No for tetra species.

Fluval Stratum is the appropriate substrate for tetra as it has the opposite affect as Aragonite and will work to reduce the Ph (something tetras appreciate).

If you want sand substrate, just use inert sand. Pool filter sand is an inexpensive solution (probably one the best deals out there), and has the look and grain size of Aragonite sand. Seachem Flourite Sand is a more expensive solution, but is very good for live plants

If you put the stratum under the sand, I believe it will eventually make its way to the top, especially if you do any form of gravel vacuuming, disturb the substrate, or have fish that like to dig.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 3:22 PM, Rosebud said:

I am new in fish hobby. Actually it is my 5 year old son who likes to have fish, but that started it all, and here I am more interested than ever. I just got a 29 gal tank from Petco (they are on sale), I am just thinking of getting different kinds of neon tetras, and perhaps some golden gourami as centerpiece (suggestion is appreciated). On this note, my cousin gave me a 40lbs caribsea aragonite ( CaribSea ACS00050 Aragonite Reef Sand for Aquariumwhich I like because of its grain size and color and it helps the cost down for a new setup. I know the aragonite will raise the PH of the water, but what would be a good mix with the aragonite so as not the raise the PH that high? or if anyone could suggest a cheaper aquarium soil (that supplies nutrients and whatever for live plants) and substrate would be of great help. Our water hardness here in Virginia is just average if that helps.

Are looking for the white sand look or the harder water factor?  Weighing the factors.

Tedrock

One big thing missing here....

What on earth are your parameters out of the tap?

On 9/7/2022 at 8:41 PM, Rosebud said:

White sand would be nice, but not the fine grain type.

Look into carib sea crystal river.

Torpedo or crystal river would be generally a "larger size" sand compared to their other offerings.

Thanks for the recommendation. Since i'm pretty new in this hobby, I don't know much on tap water parameters. It's just when I do water test it indicated PH level at 6.0 and hardness as mentioned earlier, while the rest are indicated in the "ideal" state. Anyways since I really wanted a live planted tank with at least half portion of the surface having carpeted plants while the rest with different mid and background plants and using spiderwood and some stones as hardscape.

Just wanted to give the plants a big survival chance hence the concern on substrate. BTW i will also be using the hygger full spectrum light, I think they are programmable, also a hang on back filter. Also planning to use root tabs and liquid fertilizer.

Nabokovfan87 brought up a great point. It would be best to test your tap water for PH, GH, and KH before we speculate and give opinions. If your tap is 6.0PH, with 0 KH, I actually think the aragonite would be beneficial in that case, solely to avoid any PH swing/crash. But lets find out what the tap is for sure before guessing..

On 9/8/2022 at 6:42 AM, Rosebud said:

It's just when I do water test it indicated PH level at 6.0

Yeah, if you're at 6.0 Ph and have little to no Kh, then adding something to boost the Kh a point or two isn't a terrible idea. In that case, Aragonite sand might work better for you than Fluval Stratum. I have similar water (meaning zero Kh), and CaribSea Aragonite Sand gave me a Ph of around 7.6 if I remember correctly.  I don't recall if it contributed much to the Gh.