Chili rasbora acting odd

asondhi

I've got 10 chili rasboras in this UNS 45u with my female betta and a bunch of RCS. 

Over the past few days I've noticed them all in the back corner of the tank by my sponge filter in a loose shoal and their color is fading but they still come out for food. 

I've confirmed the betta doesn't harass them (she barely even pays attention to them) including overnight. 

My parameters haven't changed at all in the tank either. I do inject CO2 into the tank and the fact that they're right by the air injection into the tank has me worried about low oxygen- but the shrimp and betta seem unaffected. 

Any advice? Sorry for the mediocre quality photos

IMG20220905191353.jpg

IMG20220906124620.jpg

On 9/6/2022 at 9:57 AM, asondhi said:

I've got 10 chili rasboras in this UNS 45u with my female betta and a bunch of RCS. 

Over the past few days I've noticed them all in the back corner of the tank by my sponge filter in a loose shoal and their color is fading but they still come out for food. 

I've confirmed the betta doesn't harass them (she barely even pays attention to them) including overnight. 

My parameters haven't changed at all in the tank either. I do inject CO2 into the tank and the fact that they're right by the air injection into the tank has me worried about low oxygen- but the shrimp and betta seem unaffected. 

Any advice? Sorry for the mediocre quality photos

IMG20220905191353.jpg

IMG20220906124620.jpg

I'm going to guess because of the flow they are staying at a dead spot which is right next to the sponge filter cause I do see a hob filter maybe thats why, other then that I am not too sure.

On 9/6/2022 at 2:37 PM, DiscusLover said:

I'm going to guess because of the flow they are staying at a dead spot which is right next to the sponge filter cause I do see a hob filter maybe thats why, other then that I am not too sure.

I don't think so, the HOB output is barely a trickle and I'd argue the water where they are is more turbulent d/t the airstone bubbles. 

Good idea though, I have tried turning off the HOB just in case and will update you if that works

• Like 1

Mine often do that as I am turning on the lights for the day. They are all a dull grey and usually packed into one of the corners, but come out and start turning bright red once they get some light.

They are a LOT more sociable and active when I have lower light to help keep algae under control and/or more overhead vegetation. 

I am pretty sure they are just more comfortable with something over their head, maybe you might want to let your floating plants take over more fo the surface real estate. They seem to prefer shaded areas.

Edited by Luciferkrist
Spelling
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 2:51 AM, Luciferkrist said:

Mine often do that as I am turning on the lights for the day. They are all a dull grey and usually packed into one of the corners, but come out and start turning bright red once they get some light.

They are a LOT more sociable and active when I have lower light to help keep algae under control and/or more overhead vegetation. 

I am pretty sure they are just more comfortable with something over their head, maybe you might want to let your floating plants take over more fo the surface real estate. They seem to prefer shaded areas.

Noted. I previously had them in a 29g community tank and they were front and center... but I realize now that that tank had many schools of nano fish to make them feel safe 

My Chilis do this as well! My school of ~7 seem to enjoy riding the bubbles / upwards flow from my sponge filter. When I had a HOB filter they liked to play near its outlet also.

At first I worried it was lack of oxygenation making them hang out around the highest areas of transfer, but I think they might just genuinely enjoy flow…?