Clown Loaches Going Inside Tank Heater

Pinecone

I recently got an aquarium co-op 100W Heater and noticed one of my loaches was inside the heater today. Does anyone know if there is any chance of my loaches getting hurt doing this? This is the first time Ive owned a heater any of my fish could actually fit in and am worried they could get stuck or burnt being inside the heater.

• Like 1

I’m sorry to hear one of your clowns is in the heater cover. IMO it won’t get stuck or hurt and it will leave the cover when the heater comes on. I’ve seen my loaches wedge themselves into Texas Holly rock that I just knew they couldn’t get out of only to see them swimming around as soon as the water change was over (not exactly the same problem but addresses the stuck part). Fingers crossed that this is what happens with your clown. I hope someone can speak about this with more knowledge as I would be interested in their input. Maybe @Cory has some input based on their research and development tanks? 
I don’t know if this helps ease your mind but I currently have 2 tanks full of different types of loaches with 2 co-op heaters in each tank. I haven’t had any problems since buying the new co-op heaters months ago and none of my loaches have shown any signs of heater burns. Even my kuhli loaches that get everywhere are o.k. 
I’ve got my fingers crossed your clown will be fine! Please let us know what happens.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'd say there is always a risk. These must be pretty small clown loaches. Clowns are known to love wedging themselves into tight spaces. If concerned, use another heater for a month, until they grow? There is really no way to make a heater guard that would cover every circumstance. If you didn't have a heater guard, a larger clown loach could burn itself. If you make the holes even smaller, then it could trap fry, shrimp, snails etc. I think this is a case of a perfect storm between the right size inquisitive loach and the heater guard.

Also have the heater can’t imagine how a clown loach got in there, I will say I had a rams horn explosion in my 55 gal and a large number of snails have ended up inside the heater. There has been a few occasions when I brought the water lower then the heater and didn’t turn the heater off (my fault) a horrid smell followed. That would be my one issue. But I’ve bought some new ones for my future tank. 

Amazed that clowns got in there.