tank background?

DiscusLover

I was thinking of what color background I should put. I was either choosing blue or black. I know that black tends to show the color of plants better then blue but the issue I think I would have is my blue discus because I know when they get close to my hob filter because its black they turn a bit dark. What do you guys think?

If it's just a choice between black or blue even Cory had decided though he chose blue for his store originally black is ultimately a better choice (and I believe they were switching over to that for the store). I have window cling film on the backs of my tanks and I like the patterned/transparent looks they lend- it's not for everyone though. 

• Like 1

Hmmm to be honest I like both. But if it helps here is my tank with each colour.

The blue is glass panels placed inside the tank.IMG20211006174632.jpg.ba9cb5094e44d2f19f0723991b8bc8bd.jpg

the black is a piece of floor protector placed behind the tank.IMG20220814151130.jpg.ed85ef567fa8fbf6fe8975a0276629ae.jpg 

And just for completeness here is the same tank without a background. Same lights and algae in each pic

IMG20220814110459.jpg.c97a5e414a0d790daffe0572ab7c994a.jpg

Edited by Flumpweesel
Added an e
  • Like 1

I have blue discus and a sky blue back round. The fish are very simlair in color to the background. I personally don’t like it. The fish are blue but don’t really pop like when they where in my black background. If you decide on black it helps to have a nice bright light. I know that blue light can promote some algae in some occasions but I would have a bright white and adjust the blue and that seemed to show them the best. Just my opinion. There are some great discus keepers here and you might want to change the to have have blue discus blue background? And that might help get some more of them to see the post. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...