Liquid Rock Water/75 Gal Apisto Tank

NotDaleGribble

Hey everyone first post.

Currently I have a 55 gallon community tank filled with corys and honey gouramis. I basically have liquid rock, I mean off the chart minerals in my tap. Recently I’ve tried cutting with some RO water for a bit of testing for some rams and apistos I will be getting in the future, and so far no real change in softness. 

I guess my question would be I am moving soon setting up a new 75 gal planted tank that will be apisto heavy. Should I stay cutting my hard tap with RO or when setting up the new tank, line my substrate with enough crush coral and just do full RO water. 

Like I said so far I’ve only cut like 25 gallons of RO, slowly with small water changes with no real change in how hard my mineral content is. 

With small repeated water changes it's going to take much more RO water to see a significant change than with a large change. I would do some tests (outside the aquarium, buckets, etc) and see what percentage of RO to tap it takes to get where you want. Then you could do the initial setup with that ratio and do the same for future water changes.

Great first post:It have water so hard you can walk on. I have apistos in a 75 and I don’t do anything. The fish are fine and breed until I lost the male. Honestly I don’t chase it. I would try to have a set up that you do less water changes and try amore black water tank. I think the apistos would be fine with the hard water. The longer I do this the less I worry about how hard the water is, I’ve been at over 30 years. I have discus in the same well water. I use some peat in the filters and driftwood to soften it some but I still can’t read it on most common aquarium test kits. 

Edited by rockfisher