New to guppies is this normal?

OfficialThomas

I got these 3 male guppies about 15 hours ago and they spent most of their time swimming at the top. Is this normal? I have a sponge on the filter output to slow the flow. Should I remove that?

SEE VIDEO HERE: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1QUY8qrrF4pxuYMT6

UPDATE! They are now exploring more of the tank! I have an airstone on the way but they seem to be getting better!

Also is a PH of around 6.6-6.8 ok?

Thanks!

Edited by Thomas H
Updated for change I saw in the tank

Welcome, Thomas. Your guppies staying up near the top like that is not normal, it's a sign of stress and in my experience (only 1.5 years with guppies, so I am not an expert) is a common symptom when bringing home store-bought guppies. I see they are swimming around a little bit and not just hovering in place, so that is a good sign.

The pH of your water is not outside the range for guppies but they may be experiencing shock from changing suddenly to that pH if the pH of their previous tank was much higher. Did you happen to test the pH of the water in the bag you brought them home in? 

Other questions:

was the tank cycled before you put the guppies in, or are you cycling it with them in there?

are there any other fish in the tank?

have you tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? 

is the filter the only source of aeration or do you also have an airstone running in the tank? If you have decreased the filter flow, they might benefit from more oxygen in the water.  If it looks like the flow is bothering them, an airstone can add oxygenation without adding as much flow as un-baffling the filter. 

Others may chime in with more experienced advice, but those are my thoughts. I hope your guppies adjust and thrive. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2022 at 12:01 PM, PineSong said:

Welcome, Thomas. Your guppies staying up near the top like that is not normal, it's a sign of stress and in my experience (only 1.5 years with guppies, so I am not an expert) is a common symptom when bringing home store-bought guppies. I see they are swimming around a little bit and not just hovering in place, so that is a good sign.

The pH of your water is not outside the range for guppies but they may be experiencing shock from changing suddenly to that pH if the pH of their previous tank was much higher. Did you happen to test the pH of the water in the bag you brought them home in? 

Other questions:

was the tank cycled before you put the guppies in, or are you cycling it with them in there?

I have had my aquarium running for like 7 months and I think its cycled

are there any other fish in the tank?

2 mystery snails

have you tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? 

yeah no 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5 nitrates.

is the filter the only source of aeration or do you also have an airstone running in the tank? If you have decreased the filter flow, they might benefit from more oxygen in the water.  If it looks like the flow is bothering them, an airstone can add oxygenation without adding as much flow as un-baffling the filter. 

I don't have a airstone but i probably should get one

Others may chime in with more experienced advice, but those are my thoughts. I hope your guppies adjust and thrive. 

Thank you!

Airstone is a good idea. Some salt may help them adjust as well. As Colu mentioned...what are the KH and GH? Guppies generally prefer harder water, and could be facing a small "shock" if your water was vastly different than the water they came from.

I breed guppies for several LFS. I noticed a few things. First there is no movement of the water the top of the water is still. Some movement would good. An airstone filters of some kind should coupe the water to move some. This will help gas exchange in the aquarium. I have several types of guppies and  the 24k guppies swim a the top all the time. Guppies tend to like higher ph but that is the ph I have. I would not make any changes as of now guppies can be super hardy and the more mutt ther are the stronger they are.

• Like 1