Brackish 20 Gallon Ideas

Dan S

I've recently re-setup my 20 tall when I discovered the wonderful world of brackish water fish. Now, after looking at some FishTube, forums, and websites, I have a good understanding on how to setup and keep a brackish tank. The real question is what are the option I have for a 20 tall tank? I was thinking a single figure 8 puffer but I am interested in an Indian mudskipper tank as well.

If anyone has any info for stocking ideas for a brackish 20 tall or more information on Indian mudskippers (such as if I need a group or having one solo would work), please let me know. Any and all help is appreciated and thanks!

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 5:33 PM, Scapexghost said:

Definetely check out zenzos channel. 20 might be to small for mudskippers since once you add a land area itll be a lot less than 20. Whatever you end up doing, i would add bumble bee gobies. Supet cool fish. Ill tag @Zenzo sense he'll know a lot more than me.

Appreciate the advice! That's exactly the person I've been watching most since I can't find many people who have brackish tanks that teaches me more than him! I'll keep my eye out here to see if he replies. Thanks again!

• Love 1

Welcome to the world of brackish!
I think a single Figure 8 puffer would work in you 20 high. I have a single Green spotted puffer in a 40 gallon. It’s fun but I wish I had a few more fish in the tank. The salinity is pretty high so my options for tankmates is limited. With a F8 you could go for 1.005 sg and then keep a few Bumblebee gobies in the tank. You could also keep some plants too. 

9098AED5-EAF0-4544-AB3C-3EE1663C0262.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2022 at 7:53 PM, Patrick_G said:

Welcome to the world of brackish!
I think a single Figure 8 puffer would work in you 20 high. I have a single Green spotted puffer in a 40 gallon. It’s fun but I wish I had a few more fish in the tank. The salinity is pretty high so my options for tankmates is limited. With a F8 you could go for 1.005 sg and then keep a few Bumblebee gobies in the tank. You could also keep some plants too. 

9098AED5-EAF0-4544-AB3C-3EE1663C0262.jpeg

That's kinda what I was thinking! How many bumblebee gobies would work with the F8 in the 20 gallon? I'm always afraid to overstock so any estimate is helpful.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 6:03 PM, Dan S said:

That's kinda what I was thinking! How many bumblebee gobies would work with the F8 in the 20 gallon? I'm always afraid to overstock so any estimate is helpful.

I think 2-3 would work, they’re pretty small. You’ll love the puffer, they’re like little water puppies!

Do you have a plan for snails or other crunchy food? 

On 9/4/2022 at 8:07 PM, Patrick_G said:

I think 2-3 would work, they’re pretty small. You’ll love the puffer, they’re like little water puppies!

Do you have a plan for snails or other crunchy food? 

I currently have a handful of pond snails in my 55 gallon freshwater tank along with people around my community that can help with some more snails. What other foods do they eat? I can't remember if they eat frozen but I know they don't like flakes and pellets. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 6:12 PM, Dan S said:

I currently have a handful of pond snails in my 55 gallon freshwater tank along with people around my community that can help with some more snails. What other foods do they eat? I can't remember if they eat frozen but I know they don't like flakes and pellets. 

I’m currently feeding just snails, frozen blood worms and occasionally frozen brine shrimp. I plan on trying freeze dried shrimp. I live near salt water so eventually I’d also try adding some  tiny shore crabs and and small mollusks from the tidal areas. My fish is compulsive about glass surfing in the upper corner of the tank. I think it’ll be good for it to have some crabs to hunt. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 1:00 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m currently feeding just snails, frozen blood worms and occasionally frozen brine shrimp. I plan on trying freeze dried shrimp. I live near salt water so eventually I’d also try adding some  tiny shore crabs and and small mollusks from the tidal areas. My fish is compulsive about glass surfing in the upper corner of the tank. I think it’ll be good for it to have some crabs to hunt. 

Wow I sometimes forget how smart puffers are! I like the idea of adding something for them to hunt every once in a while as I think glass surfing meant that they were bored or hungry. Thanks for all the info!

• Like 1

• Administrators

2-3 Indian skippers would be okay in a 20 tall as long as there is adequate land area. Also, I agree with the figure 8 puffer. I have mine in a 20 tall. I wouldn't do these two together in a 20 tall though, as you probably won't have enough space (because you have to keep the water level lower for the skippers). You could pair the skippers with some bumblebee gobies, guppies (do well in brackish), or even some mollies. 

I would have the f8 solo. 

On 9/6/2022 at 3:10 PM, Zenzo said:

2-3 Indian skippers would be okay in a 20 tall as long as there is adequate land area. Also, I agree with the figure 8 puffer. I have mine in a 20 tall. I wouldn't do these two together in a 20 tall though, as you probably won't have enough space (because you have to keep the water level lower for the skippers). You could pair the skippers with some bumblebee gobies, guppies (do well in brackish), or even some mollies. 

I would have the f8 solo. 

Thanks for the input! If I made the left/right half of the tank land and made the waterline half and had 2 mudskippers, how many gobies would I be able to keep without causing too much territorial issues? I understand most gobies need a small piece of territory and can be aggressive depending on the fish so what would work as a minimum amount if I were to have gobies? Thanks again!

• Administrators
On 9/6/2022 at 6:15 PM, Dan S said:

Thanks for the input! If I made the left/right half of the tank land and made the waterline half and had 2 mudskippers, how many gobies would I be able to keep without causing too much territorial issues? I understand most gobies need a small piece of territory and can be aggressive depending on the fish so what would work as a minimum amount if I were to have gobies? Thanks again!

It depends on how much water area, and how you make the land area (floating island vs a beach type or rocks). I would think that 3-5 bumblebee gobies should be fine if you end up with at least 10 gallons of swimming area. 

On 9/8/2022 at 1:27 PM, Zenzo said:

It depends on how much water area, and how you make the land area (floating island vs a beach type or rocks). I would think that 3-5 bumblebee gobies should be fine if you end up with at least 10 gallons of swimming area. 

Wait... I've considered a partial land and partial floating (like your 75 gallon) but I've never considered a full floating island! If it won't sent from hitting the sides, would that work? My main concern is the fish getting crushed but depending on the shape of the sides (ex. A circle?), could that still work? I appreciate the estimate and I'll look into stocking more as well along with all the video on mudskipper tank setups (already seen your quite a few times...buttttt I'm gonna rewatch it just so I got the idea down). Thanks again!

Status Update: I made a piece of floating land using Styrofoam and Expanding foam. I forgot to dry out the sand so I didn't cover the foam before it dried and added the sand on top after. I would like to make it look more natural so what are some methods to change the island? I have some small driftwood that I may add along with some round river rocks. Anything I'm missing right now? (FYI: I have plants in the tank to speed up the cycling, I'll add the salt later.)

IMG_20220912_224049.jpg

IMG_20220912_224108.jpg

IMG_20220912_224040.jpg

IMG_20220912_224056.jpg

On 9/4/2022 at 6:12 PM, Dan S said:

I've recently re-setup my 20 tall when I discovered the wonderful world of brackish water fish. Now, after looking at some FishTube, forums, and websites, I have a good understanding on how to setup and keep a brackish tank. The real question is what are the option I have for a 20 tall tank? I was thinking a single figure 8 puffer but I am interested in an Indian mudskipper tank as well.

If anyone has any info for stocking ideas for a brackish 20 tall or more information on Indian mudskippers (such as if I need a group or having one solo would work), please let me know. Any and all help is appreciated and thanks!

Fiddler crabs are brackish!  And nerite snails as well.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2022 at 12:36 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Fiddler crabs are brackish!  And nerite snails as well.

Thanks for the information! Nerites could be an interesting algae cleaner if I have a problem again and Fiddler Crabs are pretty cool! I'll check them out; thanks again!

• Like 1