My new Water Sprite doesn't look good, the tips of leaves look brown. Help!

If you have read my other messages, you will know what I've been doing recently. My Water Sprite doesn't look very good, perhaps it didn't care for the alum dip (4 hours). Should I be changing the quarantine tank water every day? Or leave it alone? I have an air stone in the tank. I've conditioned the water and added Easy Green as directed. My other plants seem to be doing fine. I checked the ammonia level and it is safe.

?

IMG_20220902_190944.jpg

IMG_20220902_191106.jpg

Edited by Simply Fin
resizing pics

Not really sure but water sprite are super hardy, mine is growing like a jungle and I would need to get rid of 1 bag worth every 3-4 week. I even tested it by cutting a branch off without the root to see if it would grow, and surprising it grew. I even kept 1 bag worth of water sprite in a container outside in the sun with closed lid and those grew too so it doesn't need ferts. The container was only filled with RO water the first time, after I sold those water sprite, the second batch was filled with RO water and 1 root tab. I can get picture of it tomorrow if you want.

• Like 1

Thank you Vyce for letting me know how hardy your water sprite is and how it grows. It's all new to me, I am a beginner so I really need to learn more. Maybe the alum was too much. I'm thinking of changing the water again and seeing if time will tell. I just have to be patient.  When I removed the casing, I think it's called a rock wall, I found the roots were in some dark substrate. Some of the roots came off when I was cleaning the plant before and after the dip. They seem ok now. I'll give it some time to bounce back and see what happens. Thank you again for telling me about your experience, it encourages me to hang in there. Oh, and do show pics tomorrow if you have time. I would like that. 

On 9/2/2022 at 10:44 PM, Simply Fin said:

If you have read my other messages, you will know what I've been doing recently. My Water Sprite doesn't look very good, perhaps it didn't care for the alum dip (4 hours). Should I be changing the quarantine tank water every day? Or leave it alone? I have an air stone in the tank. I've conditioned the water and added Easy Green as directed. My other plants seem to be doing fine. I checked the ammonia level and it is safe.

?

IMG_20220902_190944.jpg

IMG_20220902_191106.jpg

The bottom photo looks like roots forming.  I have Water Dpeite in my tank and I snip tops off and stick them in the substrate and they root. I also let it float at the top of the tank and it grows roots. I think yours will be fine. Just give ‘‘em some time to bounce back and soon you’ll be up to your ears in WS!

• Like 1

The water sprite might experience some melting but don’t worry too much.  It should recover or create new growth with time.  Mine have taken a month to adapt to my tank.  A couple stems got damaged between unpacking and planting.  The stem died at that spot but grew new roots above the bad area.  It eventually separated and now I have some floating in the tank.  

• Like 1

Thank you, Redfish, and Gardenman for your observation and thoughts. I played it safe by separating the Anubias plants from the Water Sprite just in case it's fungus or mold. Leaning on the side of caution. 

The Anubias plants are still doing great. Hope it's just normal melting for the Sprite and hope to see new growth before too long. Thank you so much for your support. 

I have had water sprite start off with the same browning. I initially tried planting it in the substrate and wasn't getting good growth. Then my catfish kept uprooting it so I just let if float. For me it works best floating, now it grows so much I have to dump handfuls during every bi-weekly water change. Since every leaf that breaks off starts a new plant. Should not have to separate it from the anubias

On 9/4/2022 at 3:12 PM, K McZongo said:

I have had water sprite start off with the same browning. I initially tried planting it in the substrate and wasn't getting good growth. Then my catfish kept uprooting it so I just let if float. For me it works best floating, now it grows so much I have to dump handfuls during every bi-weekly water change. Since every leaf that breaks off starts a new plant. Should not have to separate it from the anubias

On 9/4/2022 at 3:12 PM, K McZongo said:

Oh, that's great to know K McZongo, thank for your comments. From what I'm reading, I'll be harvesting Sprite for a long time. 

On 9/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, redfish said:

The water sprite might experience some melting but don’t worry too much.  It should recover or create new growth with time.  Mine have taken a month to adapt to my tank.  A couple stems got damaged between unpacking and planting.  The stem died at that spot but grew new roots above the bad area.  It eventually separated and now I have some floating in the tank.  

Thank you, I feel better now.