Is this duckweed?

I have had water lettuce for about a year now and love it. A few months ago I started noticing smaller floaters among it. I thought maybe they were little water lettuce. At the time I had blocked off a small area for the water lettuce so I thought maybe it sent out Lil ones or something. Now, months later, I kinda put 2 and 2 together. I had moved the water lettuce to a different tank and not closed off its space yet the little ones have expanded more than the large ones. I realized, maybe I got duckweed from someone at some point. 

Is that what this is?

If so, any chance it's harmful to the water lettuce. I actually don't mind it too much unless it will out compete the water lettuce or something. 

20220902_184909.jpg

On 9/2/2022 at 7:38 PM, The Killer of Fish said:

Yep that is duck weed. It grows faster than water lettuce and will over take the tank but it is great at removing nitrates and if you have any goldfish they love to eat duck weed. 

I don't have goldfish but I do have mystery snails and I think i heard once they eat it too. Tbh, considering I didn't even put it together that I've had duckweed for a few months until now, I don't mind it lol. I mostly feel bad because I've put it into bags for o2 when shipping fish and didn't warn people. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 4:40 PM, Pepere said:

Well, in the dark, it will release co2 if it does anything.

Now I'm confused tbh because I knew that but didn't think of it and ik many people will include plants for o2 in shipping. Maybe those doing it don't realize it's not helping lol.