New plants and Lava Rocks

Spoolin

Hi everyone-

I bought some Crinum Calamistratum two weeks ago that is being quarantined in my 10g qt tank currently. I have some Anubias Barteri ‘Coffeefolia’, and some Lava Rocks that will be here next week. What should I be looking for during this quarantine process?

So far, the Calamistratum has brought in two baby snails that just now became visible to the naked eye. Is there anything else I should be looking for besides snails and maybe other unwanted pests? I’ve also seen people quarantine for as long as 1 week and up to 1 month. Anyone have any input on how long to quarantine plants?

As for the Lava Rocks, do I need to wash them down really well before quarantining them with the plants? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you. 

I've never quarantined my Lava rocks... just rinsed them off really well. As for plants, I generally just rinse them off too and add them to the tank. There are a few methods you can use to treat your plants for unwanted pests before adding them the the tank if it's worrisome. @Irene at Girl Talks Fish has a YouTube video on how to do this.

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 3