Tips on Cutting Aquarium Glass

HeyItsAmanda

Hi everyone, 

I found an old cracked 55 gallon that I will scrap for parts for other projects, hopefully a DIY paludarium. What are your tips for safely cutting glass, plus a recommended supply list to get me started. I'm in an apartment so I do not have access to any big equipment, but I have heard of varying success with the score-and-snap method. 

Thank you all 😃

On 9/1/2022 at 4:15 PM, billango said:

It's not something I've done before but I know you can't cut tempered glass like you can with regular glass so just make sure that yours isn't before proceeding. 

Yeah, I believe the bottoms of larger tanks are tempered glass, but the sides are not. So for my purposes I think I am safe. 

On 9/1/2022 at 4:35 PM, HeyItsAmanda said:

Yeah, I believe the bottoms of larger tanks are tempered glass, but the sides are not. So for my purposes I think I am safe. 

Most is made tank have tempered glass but I’m pretty sure you are right about the sides. My best advice is watch some YouTube videos. 

On 9/1/2022 at 1:08 PM, HeyItsAmanda said:

I found an old cracked 55 gallon that I will scrap for parts for other projects, hopefully a DIY paludarium. What are your tips for safely cutting glass, plus a recommended supply list to get me started. I'm in an apartment so I do not have access to any big equipment, but I have heard of varying success with the score-and-snap method. 

-Flat work surface with a sharp edge on the corner
-80 grit sandpaper, preferably in a block form
-"fine" grit sandpaper, preferably in a block form
-cutting tool, cutting oil
-Straight edge or L shaped scale (T-Shape should work easier)
-clamps help, but not critical.  If you're cutting the glass for the tank, then yes, you need clamps to have it straight while you cut the glass and snap the edge.
-cut safe gloves
-some sort of mask when sanding

and measure like 5 times.... 😂

• Like 1