What is a normal warranty period on fish from you LFS?

redfish

The dedicated fish store in my area has 2 weeks. If the fish dies during that period; the first time you bring it back they will replace it (or give store credit if none in stock). After that you are on your own. Petco (we have one nice one near me) I think it is 3 or 4 weeks but i forget.

Thanks.  The store I’ve purchased from recently only has a 24-48 hour time period to deal with issues.  I was taken aback when I asked them about my deceased loach today.  It lasted 4 days in quarantine.  The store said they will replace it and test my water but was very hesitant about it.  While I appreciate the offer, I don’t want to constantly worry about any purchases from the store.  I’m trying to support the LFS and this one seems reputable but it’s a 45 minute drive to get there so it’s not easy to return anything either.

My best LFS is zero days.  They have pretty healthy fish, but they have no control over what’s in the customer’s tank, and gave up offering a warrantee years ago.  They’re prices are better than average and that’s part of how they keep them that way.  I don’t often have fish die from them.  Once had a couple very young bristlenoses die, but that’s pretty much the only ones that have passed in their QT period.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 9:51 AM, Odd Duck said:

My best LFS is zero days.  They have pretty healthy fish, but they have no control over what’s in the customer’s tank, and gave up offering a warrantee years ago.  They’re prices are better than average and that’s part of how they keep them that way.  I don’t often have fish die from them.  Once had a couple very young bristlenoses die, but that’s pretty much the only ones that have passed in their QT period.

similar at mine...24-48 hours (48 if they know you well) with fish remains and water sample.  (you need to have salt in your water as well)

But overall their stock is healthy and well kept so low loses if you do your part.    

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.  It really sounds like there isn't a "normal expected" timeframe for a reputable LFS.  I understand there are a lot of variables once the fish leave the store.  I don't have a long term record with this store  but we are 2-0 for fish dying in quarantine within a week from the store.  I'll give them a few more tries but I hoped they would have a healthier stock than the big box stores.  The 2 week warranty from the box store at least lets me weed out the poor health fish without much risk.

When I was a kid a long time ago in a galaxy far far away we had the most wonderful family run pet shop. They sold everything including gerbils and birds. Anyway they didn't really have a policy per sey but was extremely accommodating in the same fashion as most family run stores. Being a little kid all i had to do was point at my dead guppy and they would replaced it. Turns out my wicked brother was feeding my guppies toothpaste for breakfast 😞

• Like 1