Secondary Filter Options? Arrangement?

EVoyager31

I have been running a 75G tank with 4 fancy goldfish with a sunsun 704B canister for about 6 months now. I have been having issues with their water quality recently (resolved over and over by me doing water changes and adjusting feeding) and I think adding another filter to house more bacteria would be a good idea.

I am curious if doing another canister is best or maybe just adding an aquaclear 110 or similar HOB. I don't want to overwhelm the tank with a ton of water movement if I can help it... so if I did canister I guess I'd do another spray bar pointed at the back of the tank. Though, if I do a HOB I can get a baffle and go that route.

Thoughts?

What’s the water quality issue you have been running into? I am by no means an expert but it is my understanding that with regards to bb, more surface area is amazing but the bacteria itself only colonize based on how much they need to manage the bio load within the tank. I could be completely off on this but it has been my understanding, or at least an easy way to gauge filtration for me. If I were in this situation and I have been, I would start by taking a look at the canister I have set up currently and play around with some different medias first. Next I would assess whether or not it were biological filtration that was lacking or if I needed mechanical or chemical applications as well. I stay away from chemical in most cases. I guess depending on what the specific parameter you’ve been noticing issues with would essentially change the course of action I would take, could be a simpler fix then requiring expensive extra filtration however: out of the options you listed I would get a HOB rather then another canister personally, I love the tidals as a means for resolving issues. They can function as main filtration but in this application adding one and dialing in what you need to fill it with to correct the specific issues your having would be how I would use it. 

On 8/30/2022 at 2:49 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

What’s the water quality issue you have been running into? I am by no means an expert but it is my understanding that with regards to bb, more surface area is amazing but the bacteria itself only colonize based on how much they need to manage the bio load within the tank. I could be completely off on this but it has been my understanding, or at least an easy way to gauge filtration for me. If I were in this situation and I have been, I would start by taking a look at the canister I have set up currently and play around with some different medias first. Next I would assess whether or not it were biological filtration that was lacking or if I needed mechanical or chemical applications as well. I stay away from chemical in most cases. I guess depending on what the specific parameter you’ve been noticing issues with would essentially change the course of action I would take, could be a simpler fix then requiring expensive extra filtration however: out of the options you listed I would get a HOB rather then another canister personally, I love the tidals as a means for resolving issues. They can function as main filtration but in this application adding one and dialing in what you need to fill it with to correct the specific issues your having would be how I would use it. 

Good points here.. I suppose my “crash” started with ammonia.. then I got that sorted for several days then the nitrites spiked like crazy— for seemingly no reason, nothing changed. Did a water change for that and it has finally evened out today 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 25ish nitrates. 
Whole experience has been really odd! There are 4 fancies of different sizes two are fairly small still around 3”. Still pretty hefty bioload but nothing compared to what it will be when they grow!

On 8/30/2022 at 11:09 AM, EVoyager31 said:

I have been running a 75G tank with 4 fancy goldfish with a sunsun 704B canister for about 6 months now. I have been having issues with their water quality recently (resolved over and over by me doing water changes and adjusting feeding) and I think adding another filter to house more bacteria would be a good idea.

I am curious if doing another canister is best or maybe just adding an aquaclear 110 or similar HOB. I don't want to overwhelm the tank with a ton of water movement if I can help it... so if I did canister I guess I'd do another spray bar pointed at the back of the tank. Though, if I do a HOB I can get a baffle and go that route.

Thoughts?

I use 1-2 Ziss bubble bio moving bed filters for that case. It does slightly polish the water and are easy to clean (remove the sponge into a bag, clean it off, etc.
If y
It runs on air, you can run 1-3 pretty easily as well.  Sponges, depending if you're looking for fine filtration.  If you want a cheap, reliable, HoB option I would just run something with a pump in the tank and then run it with filter floss.  This doesn't help the bacteria issue, but it would be the polishing filter you're looking for.  Marineland also sells an internal, specifically for the purpose of internal polishing.

As a sidenote, potentially you might just need to adjust how the canister is setup?  Have you checked to see if pondguru has a setup guide for that one, how does it compare to your setup?

On 8/30/2022 at 3:58 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I use 1-2 Ziss bubble bio moving bed filters for that case. It does slightly polish the water and are easy to clean (remove the sponge into a bag, clean it off, etc.
If y
It runs on air, you can run 1-3 pretty easily as well.  Sponges, depending if you're looking for fine filtration.  If you want a cheap, reliable, HoB option I would just run something with a pump in the tank and then run it with filter floss.  This doesn't help the bacteria issue, but it would be the polishing filter you're looking for.  Marineland also sells an internal, specifically for the purpose of internal polishing.

Right, I may go HOB just because I don’t want very much extra in the tank.. sponge filters are great but hideous to me.

On 8/30/2022 at 12:59 PM, EVoyager31 said:

Right, I may go HOB just because I don’t want very much extra in the tank.. sponge filters are great but hideous to me.

I totally understand that.  In the first post in the journal link in my signature there's the pic of my 75G.  It shows the setup.  I had 2 HOBs and stuff on the sidewalls.  I like the ziss because it specifically doesn't take up plant space and keeps the floor of the tank available.  I'll be intrigued to see what you end up with! Marineland penguin pro might be a good option for your situation.