Greetings from Southwestern Ontario!!

Welcome, I’m sure I speak for many more then just myself when I say we look forward to your journey in the hobby. Tank looks good, plants can be a lot of fun, and it’s amazing no matter what you read, or hear about, or watch, in my opinion, can be a whole new experience when it’s yours… welcome again

• Thanks 1

Hi from NE York Region (Ontario). 🙂

Get a herd of Kuhli loaches. They'll disappear during the day but will love the sand cap you have at night. When it's stormy they'll zoom around like crazy, too fast for the barbs. 12 or more, IMO. 

Another option might be panda garra. They're really robust. 

If you want diversity, what about other tiger barb morphs, like green or albino. They look different/diverse to us, but they don't seem to see it that way. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2022 at 7:46 AM, TOtrees said:

Another option might be panda garra. They're really robust. 

Panda garra is probably my top suggestion for any community tank. TONS of personality. They constantly nibble on your glass and they will have no problem returning the favor to your sassy tiger barbs. Also the stripes on the barbs and the stripes on the panda garra will correlate nicely.

In my opinion no it would not be overstocking. This assumes you have an appropriate water change schedule. Stocking as it relates to how many and what size fish is such a hot issue. There are rules from simple to complex. But they don't take care into account much. Something that is ok for an expert might not be for a novice. Something that is okay with lots of water changes might not be with less water changes. Notice that I'm not (yet) bringing aggression or compatibility into the conversation, bc that's another (often separate) layer. Different fish with the same size and even the same mass have different effects on water chemistry. 12 goldfish is very different from 12 tiger barbs. In the same way, 12 tigers is very different from 12 kuhlis. With all that being said, I don't think 12 or even 20 kuhlis will affect your water chemistry much. 

Aggression is different, but again, I don't think you'll have much to worry about. You could start with 6 kuhlis and see if it's a problem. But I'd start with 12, and then add more if you like them. Unless you need to spread out the cost. Based on the pic of your tank, there are tons of hiding places under the wood etc for them. Even if they are out and about, they either rest pretty still on the bottom (not tempting for the barbs, I suspect), or they zoom around like maniacs (good luck catching them, I say to the barbs). 

One thing you will need to consider is escape routes. But again, based on the pic of your tank I think you're ok. Kuhlis will climb into a filter outflow if it's at or just above the waterline, but it looks like yours has a decent drop so I think you're good. 

You'll also want to do some feeding after lights out, a couple times per week. If you only feed during the day, the barbs will likely get most of the food and leave little for the kuhlis. They'll always find enough to survive, but to thrive and grow you'll want to feed them after dark, into the corners and such, where they'll get most of it not the barbs. 

One word of caution, you might not see them much. You may wonder "are they okay, are they still there?" Not to be crass, but if you don't see bodies, they're probably still all there. My 33gal tank started leaking and I had to tear it down. I found 20 big fat kuhlis in there, and had though I was down to like 12. Ninjas. Also, I found that they were super active during power failures. Lights out, no water movement, water cooling a bit, and woah they would be all over, going crazy. Might be a good way to check on them. 🙂