Best way to feed baby brine?

Wel-Don Tanks

• Administrators

I'm not a fan of the bottle. I too bought some, it feeds too slowly for all my tanks. I even cut the stem WAY back. I like the turkey baster still. I really wanted that medical bottle to work 😞

32 minutes ago, Cory said:

I'm not a fan of the bottle. I too bought some, it feeds too slowly for all my tanks. I even cut the stem WAY back. I like the turkey baster still. I really wanted that medical bottle to work 😞

The tip of getting the non drip was genius. If plans work out that I am able to expand my fish room to triple the size I will be adding the turkey baster gallon jar combo for sure.  

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, quirkylemon103 said:

has anyone used a empty coop fry food container?

Yep, I did this for years, my only problem now is I use more water/brine than the bottle I did think about getting a bigger one.

I feed about 9 tanks and use a pipette. After I rinse the baby brine I pour them into a glass yogurt container I have. It's a little bigger than a baby food jar. I do this because it concentrates the baby brine so thick in the little pipette it turns completely orange when I suck them up.

My rational for this is, I feel like I'm putting more brine than water into the pipette and when I put it into a tank I am able to put a copious amount of brine with just a tiny pipette. 

Screenshot_20201025-151632.png

ffd0aca0-4e87-4af2-93d3-301331912d59.gif

• Like 3

If you have the Ziss BBS hatchery it comes with a pipette. It works great. I run the hatched BBS trough a sieve pour them into a cup and feed the tanks using the pipette. Left over BBS go back in the now clean hatchery for a second feeding.

3ml-pipette_1000x.jpg

SIEVE.jpg

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Paul said:

If you have the Ziss BBS hatchery it comes with a pipette. It works great. I run the hatched BBS trough a sieve pour them into a cup and feed the tanks using the pipette. Left over BBS go back in the now clean hatchery for a second feeding.

3ml-pipette_1000x.jpg

SIEVE.jpg

So you clean the hatchery, put new water in and add in the left overs. Do you also add in more eggs?

• Like 1

This is a form of old school 'pipetting by mouth' but I have piece of flexible tubing attached to a piece rigid tubing. I suck up a bevy of baby brine from the ripest looking cone and I either give a tank the whole shebang, or dribble it as needed as I go from tank to tank.

20200805_3120.JPG.e64b8d9fea5eee8929e540

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robin said:

So you clean the hatchery, put new water in and add in the left overs. Do you also add in more eggs?

No, I rinse out the hatchery. Any left over BBS which is usually about 1/2 of what I hatched goes back in the hatchery with the air running for a 2nd feeding later that day. Never mix eggs with hatched BBS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I always want newly hatched shrimp for every feeding so I start a new batch every 12 hours. I don't hatch a lot in any one batch.

As soon as the next batch comes online, I dump the old one and set it up as the new batch. I would do this even if I only had one tank. Brine shrimp are very inexpensive in both time any money so why not have the highest quality baby brine shrimp possible.

I use the empty plastic containers left over from Won-Ton soup. I collect the brine into one, strain those through a sieve and then dunk the sieve in the second won-ton soup container with clean water. After that I just dump some from there  into one tank after another, eyeballing it based on how many fish are in each. Totally imprecise, but it's easy and works for me AND!! gives me incentive to eat order more Chinese take-out!

Edited by tolstoy21

On 10/24/2020 at 8:40 PM, Wel-Don Tanks said:

Ever since I saw HC Aqua post up the best way to feed baby brine shrimp I had to follow suit!  This allows me to feed all the tanks and fry trays super quick.  What is your favorite way to feed baby brine shrimp to your tanks?

1643CD33-5FD0-4A24-B6B8-F4E16340DE02.jpeg

I bought a couple of these and tried it today. Worked better than anything I've worked up so far. Great tip.

Well I’m only feeding one tank, but I just turn off the air to the hatchery, turn on a light, wait for the eggs to settle, and then pipette a serving out and squirt it straight into the tank. Then I turn the air back on and repeat in a few hours.

I bought a pack of 100 10 ml pipettes off of Amazon at one point and those things come in so handy!

• Like 1