ParaCleanse in Food

Mmiller2001

We recommend treating the tank/water, rather than the food. If internal parasites are present, a lot of time the fish isn't eating. Treating the water you know the correct dosage is treating the fish, whereas if medicating the food, you can't know how how much med is actually going into the fish. 

45 minutes ago, Candi said:

We recommend treating the tank/water, rather than the food. If internal parasites are present, a lot of time the fish isn't eating. Treating the water you know the correct dosage is treating the fish, whereas if medicating the food, you can't know how much med is actually going into the fish. 

Unfortunately, I have to treat a 75 gallon tank. So this is a no to the question? I would even take a quesstimate!!!!

It's honestly better to just treat the water column, especially if multiple fish are ill. When medicating food there's the issue of getting them to eat it as well as ensuring that each fish is getting the correct dosage vs. one guy eating barely anything and another eating several times as much. That is part of why there aren't directions for dosing it through food on the label.

If your fish will tolerate a smaller setup, consider moving them to a lower volume for treatment.

11 hours ago, Mmiller2001 said:

How many weeks should I treat? I have something nasty that survived 4 weeks of PraziPro. And should I follow the box directions or follow trio method?

I would not try to feed fish Paraclense.

Paraclense is metronidazole and praziquantel, Prozi pro is just praziquantel.

Seachem makes Metroplex, which is metronidazole, where in the instructions, it explains how to add it to food and recommends using it with Seachem focus. so you could treat the whole tank with the prozi pro (praziquantel) while feeding them Metroplex (metronidazole). 

At around 13 mins John talks about how he prepares food with metroplex: 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MattyIce said:

I would not try to feed fish Paraclense.

Paraclense is metronidazole and praziquantel, Prozi pro is just praziquantel.

Seachem makes Metroplex, which is metronidazole, where in the instructions, it explains how to add it to food and recommends using it with Seachem focus. so you could treat the whole tank with the prozi pro (praziquantel) while feeding them Metroplex (metronidazole). 

At around 13 mins John talks about how he prepares food with metroplex: 

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Mmiller2001 said:

Thank you.

No Problem.

If you are sure it is parasites, I would also recommend buying some Levamisole if you don't already have some, if the metroplex doesn't seem to be working, I would switch to something like levamisole.  If you order it online through somewhere like SelectAquatics, it can take a little while to arrive, maybe up to a week, that is why I recommend getting some now so you have sooner if you need it.

27 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

No Problem.

If you are sure it is parasites, I would also recommend buying some Levamisole if you don't already have some, if the metroplex doesn't seem to be working, I would switch to something like levamisole.  If you order it online through somewhere like SelectAquatics, it can take a little while to arrive, maybe up to a week, that is why I recommend getting some now so you have sooner if you need it.

I thought it was flukes. But I guess it isn't. My fish keep flashing. I cured the Corydoras, but weeks later, some neons started and now my gouramis are flashing. I can't see anything external on them. Has to be in the gills. I'm going 10 days with General Cure/ Paracleanse. I will keep looking for something external, but just haven't seen anything on them.

1 minute ago, Mmiller2001 said:

I thought it was flukes. But I guess it isn't. My fish keep flashing. I cured the Corydoras, but weeks later, some neons started and now my gouramis are flashing. I can't see anything external on them. Has to be in the gills. I'm going 10 days with General Cure/ Paracleanse. I will keep looking for something external, but just haven't seen anything on them.

I am not sure what that would be, though unless you fish are eating less or seem to be getting a lot skinnier you probably don't have to worry about the Levamisole.

Just now, MattyIce said:

I am not sure what that would be, though unless you fish are eating less or seem to be getting a lot skinnier you probably don't have to worry about the Levamisole.

Sounds good, thank you. Yeah, eating well and look fine. But the gourami look irritated now and are hiding. I'm at a loss. We will see.

• 6 months later...

did you ever figure this out? I have Cardinal tetras that definitely have a parasite internally. Well, thats what I assume when I see a very bloated Cardinal that has an undulating belly, like a fetus moving around inside it's mothers womb...
All my fish eat well, including that cardinal. Ive treated with paracleanse in the column and it didnt work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Funkroll5050 said:

did you ever figure this out? I have Cardinal tetras that definitely have a parasite internally. Well, thats what I assume when I see a very bloated Cardinal that has an undulating belly, like a fetus moving around inside it's mothers womb...
All my fish eat well, including that cardinal. Ive treated with paracleanse in the column and it didnt work. 

Wow, this was one heck of a battle. I ended up dosing the water column with Paracleanse with a 2 week follow up. It finally knocked it out. 

On 4/29/2021 at 12:29 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Wow, this was one heck of a battle. I ended up dosing the water column with Paracleanse with a 2 week follow up. It finally knocked it out. 

OK. Well done. Im doing the Metroplex/Focus/Garlic guard food combo for my main tank. Basically  all of my Cardinals have some level of internal parasite. They sure like the food... I do have one very emaciated cardinal, but he does eat. We'll see how he does. Im also feeding it to my QT tank in the mean time. preparing the food and freezing it is a cinch. 

Cheers

54 minutes ago, Funkroll5050 said:

OK. Well done. Im doing the Metroplex/Focus/Garlic guard food combo for my main tank. Basically  all of my Cardinals have some level of internal parasite. They sure like the food... I do have one very emaciated cardinal, but he does eat. We'll see how he does. Im also feeding it to my QT tank in the mean time. preparing the food and freezing it is a cinch. 

Cheers

I'm starting to love all the Seachem meds. Orally dosing is very effective.