New tank: new to me.125g what would you put in it.

rockfisher

On 8/30/2022 at 4:39 AM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

Personally, I'd fill it up with drift wood and throw a group of ropefish in there. Maybe have some kind of colorful livebearer in there too....

I have the drift wood already or a good portion of it. I got it with a plan for a different tank and I have the the centerpiece driftwood but I think if could use some more complementary pieces.

The tank still has the new sticker on it from the order. 

On 8/30/2022 at 4:39 AM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

Personally, I'd fill it up with drift wood and throw a group of ropefish in there. Maybe have some kind of colorful livebearer in there too....

I think I am going to stay away from livebearer just because I sell them and that side of the hobby is more work than fun. I think it’s a great idea but due to personal reasons I may stay away.

On 8/28/2022 at 10:26 PM, Friller said:

Are you sure that sahulensis is a skull creek? Looks quite red, skull creeks are more of a light orange to yellow.

M.sahulensis%20(Skull%20Creek)%20GS.jpg

Spotted blue eyes and the Maccullochi group go well. I've kept them with Wilsoni, Maccullochi, Papuae and Sexlineata, with only sexlineata not working out well. 

Is that Rhad one of Leo O'Reillys 'morphs' of rhads? And even so it looks more like a Teewah Creek 'Ultra red" compared to Searys Crk which tend to be more blue. 

The rhads will fight with the Gertrudae, Any of the long finned blue eyes will be pecked at. Only really Mellis and Signifer pair well. 

Make sure that you don't put aggressive rainbows with peaceful ones. G. Pseudoincisus will rip anything to shreds, and M.Sexlneata can be nasty as well.

I've lost a large (~10cm) P.Furcatus to a Male M.Kamaka fighting for dominance. 

Some of the larger species like Regals (trifasciata) and Boesmani can be a-holes so be careful with them.

Sorry for the late response. All of my rainbowfish, except for the Kali Tawa, came from Marcel Wuethrich. He’s Roseline17 on Aquabid. He’s a fantastic breeder. He received his R. ornatus Seary’s Creek from Gary Lange, and Gary received his from Leo O’Reilly. Marcel has breed this collection point to show more red. They do look similar to his other Rhads that he has, but he’s trustworthy with keeping his lines pure. 

I’m going to ask Marcel about the Sahul rainbowfish I got from him. You’re not the first person to tell me about the yellow fins of that picture. It’s possible Marcel bred these fish to have orange/red-orange fins depending on the lighting. 

I should’ve clarified that I keep my P. gertrudae with M. sahulensis. I didn’t want the put the blue-eyes with the rhads as their mouths are relatively large and they might try to eat a Blue-Eye.  

Here’s a picture of a Sahul rainbowfish, and one of the Ornate Rainbowfish, under Fluval Plant 3.0 lights. 

357959F9-C55B-4922-BAF0-FC0F8E592EA2.png

DC5861AD-C42E-4148-AD31-9ED8743F989F.png

• Like 1