Water changing systems

To make water changes easier, I’ve been looking in to methods of adding water other than scooping the water in from a bucket. I know a lot of people use the python system, but none of my sinks have the screw in nozzle that is needed.

I have seen people use pumps to pump water in and out. Are there any specific models I should get? 

This is my mixing barrel and tank filling system.  I drain with my cheap Python knock off.  It would be pretty simple to make a smaller version with a smaller bucket and powerhead if you don’t need to change out as much water.  I’m hoping to go bigger when I get my Offish, fish room arranged. I’ll have an auto siphon system set up for each tank and just plan on an overflow type system.  This is ugly but functional.

D7AB071B-CA55-4BB1-90EC-BDC5271059C0.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 2:04 PM, AnotherHumanPerson said:

To make water changes easier, I’ve been looking in to methods of adding water other than scooping the water in from a bucket. I know a lot of people use the python system, but none of my sinks have the screw in nozzle that is needed.

I have seen people use pumps to pump water in and out. Are there any specific models I should get? 

I use this pump with this diffuser in the end to pump out of a 5 gallon bucket.  Works great and doesn’t move substrate or anything in tank when I pump

https://a.co/d/cWEEJjY

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1208741960/tank-refiller-9000?ref=yr_purchases

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 4:15 AM, chrisharvey1160 said:

Every faucet has a threaded diffuser installed. Either male or female. Which an adapter for a garden hose can be purchased. Yours must be pretty seized in. 

Time to upgrade the faucet I guess, 🤔

My kitchen has one of those shmancy faucets that doesn't have one and the bathroom uses a weird non-standard size. Why can't we just keep them the same? 🤣

Anyhoo, I use a cheap tetra fountain pump I picked up on clearance. It'll start a siphon as well. 

I use one of these water transfer pump. I have to attached to pex tubing, it pumps the water overhead across the basement to a sink to drain. I use a Python hook, aquaclear filter tube and a pre filter to strain the water. I use a remote control outlet switch to turn the pump on and off when switching between tanks in the fishroom.

20220901_185959.jpg.75031e6322fd3fa906c4bdb8c196ffe5.jpg

Edited by MickS77

When i had a tank in the dining room, within reach of the kitchen sink (with a wand/tap that refused to adapt to python), I used an Ecoplus 185 pump (~150gph) for draining and filling. This made quick work of changing 10 gals out of a 33 gallon tank. But the pump was not too strong. 

For draining, the pump went straight into the tank and the tubing carried water to the sink (the pump has a prefilter so no critters could get removed). Or into a bucket if I had other plans for the water, eg plants. 

Then I'd fill a couple 5 gallon buckets from the sink, dechlorinated and temp-matched, and use the same pump and tubing to get the water from the buckets to the tank. I would put the buckets on the counter, so it didn't have to pump up from the floor. I used an extra dual sponge filter insert to break the water flow, and it fit the tubing perfectly:

image.png

Your other option is to get an extension for your python, and run it to a bathroom sink on the same level as your tank. 

Edited by TOtrees