What is this plants name and care?

HisMineandOurs

I took the picture to the Wet Spot, fish store, and they said it was a healthy African Fern, but it doesn't look healthy to me. It has black beard algae. Also they said it was supposed to be translucent. Since I don't know the name I can't find out how to bring it out of it's slump.  Any help would be appreciated. Should it be planted or attached?

20220827_064023.jpg

It should definitely be attached, not planted.  I agree that it doesn’t look very healthy, but they are challenging plants to get them to prosper.  Look into the Reverse Respiration treatment if you’re able to pull the plant out of the tank.

• Like 1

It does look like African water fern, Bolbitis heudelotii.  I’ve not had great luck with them.  They always seem to gradually diminish for me.  I’ve had some that produce plantlets from the dying fronds (like Java ferns do) but those plantlets never seem to really prosper in the long run.

• Like 1

I can't tell you the name of the plant but I am pretty sure that you are right that it is not healthy and that they are wrong in saying that it is bolbitis. At least it doesn't look like any heudolotii or heterclita form of bolbitis that I have seen because of how far apart the "leaves" off of the stem are from each other. That being said, I've mostly avoided keeping them even though I love them because it is hard to find sustainably gathered/grown specimens, so I'll definitely defer to @Odd Duckhere. If it is bolbitis, you will probably need to keep it in a tank with CO2 to rehab it. While I have seen them grown in low tech tanks and they don't need a ton of light, most people have much more success with CO2 injection and somewhat softer water. It also has preference (like BBA unfortunately) for higher flow areas.

• Like 1