Air Pump? In hang on back filter?

OfficialThomas

assuming you aren't using pressurized co2 adding aeration is likely  good for everything it can help the plants get more co2 in the day the fish get less co2 at night .

as for putting the outlet in a filter it might be possible depending on the filter but you don't really want to get air through the impeller also it might be less effective there.

Aeration is good, as @faceindicated some aquascapers claim that it’s a problem for a high tech planted tank (although many of them run air pumps at night on timers to keep their fish alive just don’t tell anyone online) but for most hobbyists it’s a great addition and can provide a little boost to all the life in the tank. 

On 8/26/2022 at 11:19 PM, Thomas H said:

Hi! I have a 20 gallon high tank with no fish currently but I plan to get some soonish. I have some live plants as well. 

Is an air pump beneficial to the plants, water, or fish? Can I hide the air by putting the end into my hang on back filter?

Thanks!

The air stone is definitely beneficial to the water and fish.  Putting the stone in the HOB is probably of little benefit as the water would have minimal contact with the bubbles.  Placing the stone near the bottom of the tank allows the water more time to absorb the oxygen and causes water movement both beneath and on the surface.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 10:19 PM, Thomas H said:

Hi! I have a 20 gallon high tank with no fish currently but I plan to get some soonish. I have some live plants as well. 

Is an air pump beneficial to the plants, water, or fish? Can I hide the air by putting the end into my hang on back filter?

Thanks!

I would not hang the air pump or suspend it - they vibrate a lot so you want them somewhere stable like the ground.

As for beneficial - they provide a lot of benfits - sponges develop a lot of biofilm that fishes love; they cause surface movement which allows for better gas exchange and they generally increase oxygen level. The only real negative i can think of is if you have something that is extremely sensitive to motion (some floaters dislike surface motion) and they can be noisy if you get a bad pump.

The goal of adding an airstone is moving water from the bottom of the tank to the surface via the lifting effect of the bubbles, plus adding some surface agitation to reduce any surface film which would inhibit gas exchange. Adding your airstone to the HOB would not accomplish anything as far as adding additional water turnover and surface agitation beyond what your HOB is already doing.  The airstone needs to be inside the tank to accomplish the primary goal of an airstone.

Adding an airstone to a sponge filter gets you to the above stated goals plus adds additional biofiltration.  Just something to think about when you’re considering adding an airstone (which I heartily approve).

• Like 1

I’ve put an airstone in an hob before.  Cory has recommended in a video before for folks that don’t like the look of bubbles or want to not have as much flow from the airstone.  It does provide a benefit but probably not quite as much as an airstone in the tank- that is just my hunch.