Gill flukes?

Cinnebuns

On 8/26/2022 at 6:11 PM, Colu said:

What I would do is add a extra air stone just in case it's low levels of desolve oxygen you will notice improvement very quickly if that the case if you see no improvement then I would do a course of paracleanse and repeat in two weeks 

Some have died off already I just realized and if it's an o2 problem then why would only the new ones do it?

I wanna make sure. I see paracleanse is inverts safe. This true?

On 8/26/2022 at 6:17 PM, Colu said:

if only the new fish are rapidly breathing hanging near the surface it could be Gill flukes or bacteria Gill disease   what you could do is a course of paracleanse in food and maracyn to treat the tank that will come ver all bases IMG_20220714_201252.jpg.79e92d6fdb1eab715e30ad2f24930195.jpg

wanna make sure. I see paracleanse is inverts safe. This true?  I don't think maracyn is. I probably want to full tank treat and not hospital tank right?

These are pseudomugils, right? How long have they been in the tank? They need a LOT of oxygen and a lot of plants and I actually found pseudomugils to be extremely sensitive fish. Mine never thrived and only lived a maximum of 7 months in my tank, they were full-grown when I bought them. If some have already died they might be suffering from shock. Did you just add them to the tank? How did you acclimate?

These fish absolutely demand a slow and steady acclimation. I saw issues with my fish if I plopped them in the tank too soon.

On 8/26/2022 at 6:27 PM, laritheloud said:

These are pseudomugils, right? How long have they been in the tank? They need a LOT of oxygen and a lot of plants and I actually found pseudomugils to be extremely sensitive fish. Mine never thrived and only lived a maximum of 7 months in my tank, they were full-grown when I bought them. If some have already died they might be suffering from shock. Did you just add them to the tank? How did you acclimate?

These fish absolutely demand a slow and steady acclimation. I saw issues with my fish if I plopped them in the tank too soon.

These specific ones came in yesterday but I have had the species for 2 months without this issue. None of the others of the species are showing problems. Only the new ones. 

I did ph and temp acclimation but not drip

• Like 1

I'd be prepared for losses because it might be weak stock. My weak pseudomugil signifers recovered for awhile -- I put them through a few meds (prazipro, levamisole, antibiotics in food all done spaced apart) and still lost them steadily over time. 

It doesn't hurt to try and save them, but without knowing exactly what it is it's mostly shots in the dark. Try the double shot of paracleanse (or prazipro) plus antibiotics, increase aeration and see how they do after that. Hopefully they'll recover and strengthen for you!

On 8/26/2022 at 6:44 PM, laritheloud said:

I'd be prepared for losses because it might be weak stock. My weak pseudomugil signifers recovered for awhile -- I put them through a few meds (prazipro, levamisole, antibiotics in food all done spaced apart) and still lost them steadily over time. 

It doesn't hurt to try and save them, but without knowing exactly what it is it's mostly shots in the dark. Try the double shot of paracleanse (or prazipro) plus antibiotics, increase aeration and see how they do after that. Hopefully they'll recover and strengthen for you!

I've never had a bad experience with aquahuna till now but I've also never had a bad experience with anyone until now. Makes me not wanna order from them again if I'm getting sick fish tbh. 

Should I have quarantined?  Yes. But that wouldn't have stopped the deaths. 

It's not really the supplier necessarily. I got my pseudomugils from my LFS and I've had great fish from them 9 out of 10 times. I think breeding programs for the most popular pseudomugils might be churning out some weak stock recently. I heard of a few others on youtube having issues finding healthy stock recently, too. It's a shame because they are beautiful fish.

On 8/26/2022 at 6:51 PM, laritheloud said:

It's not really the supplier necessarily. I got my pseudomugils from my LFS and I've had great fish from them 9 out of 10 times. I think breeding programs for the most popular pseudomugils might be churning out some weak stock recently. I heard of a few others on youtube having issues finding healthy stock recently, too. It's a shame because they are beautiful fish.

That's fair but I'm on disability so putting in a single order is like 10% of my monthly income. It's huge. It's a big deal on me financially if I spend that much just to have them die the next day. 

• Sad 1

On 8/26/2022 at 8:02 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@laritheloud feels terrible to say but I almost wish they had arrived DOA because then I could get a refund. 

I've gotten refunds from AH for deaths over the 1st day or two, if they struggled from the start it would be worth reaching out. I ordered some roseline sharks last spring that came in thin, but ok - I was able to fatten them up and they did fine. I decided to order two more - they came in so emaciated they died later that day. They quickly refunded me and were nice to deal with, but the ordeal of trying to ER those guys was not something I want to repeat. I've also gotten really good fish from them, like my congo tetras and rocket killies. Sometimes a batch just doesn't do well.

Best seller I've seen for rainbows is Dan's Fish. Amazing selection (I think he has something like 44 species of just rainbows atm). I've been really impressed with their care sourcing and taking lots of time to be sure fish are healthy and thriving long before they ever ship. I just got my first order from them this week and the cories were so lively they were jumping in the bags while I was floating them! I've seen them take months of care to ensure fish are in top shape and will support fish long after the arrive if they appear to have traveled poorly. They aren't cheap, but for anything more rare/delicate/specialized I think it's worth it. They have the same level of service for mail order fish that the Co-op does for everything else (assuming you aren't lucky enough to live near the store!).

• Like 1