New rainbows

Cinnebuns

Yesterday I got 6 new female pseudomugil furcata in the mail. I have been very sick so not able to observe them much, but when I can they are doing the "gasping for air at the surface" pose. I know common issues to cause this are ammonia and lack of surface agitation. Neither are an issue. Also, they are the only fish doing this. Even my other furcata are not. Only the new ones. They are also very tiny and maybe young. Ideas?

Did you have them shipped to you?  If so, they may have gotten ammonia burn to their gills during shipping and still be having issues from that.  It takes time for gills to heal from something like that, so adding extra airstones/bubblers may be the best thing you can do to help.

I assume nitrite / nitrates levels are also in line as that can cause issues as well.  If you have nitrates balanced and haven’t needed to do a water change in a while there can be buildup or depletion of other minerals in the water that the new fish haven’t acclimated to.  Other ideas are that this can be symptoms of some diseases or also ph shock.  Agree with post above that they could have had exposure to elevated ammonia during shipping and damaged gills as a result - especially if one died in their bag.   It can be frustrating- I recently went through this.  

On 8/27/2022 at 2:06 PM, Odd Duck said:

Did you have them shipped to you?  If so, they may have gotten ammonia burn to their gills during shipping and still be having issues from that.  It takes time for gills to heal from something like that, so adding extra airstones/bubblers may be the best thing you can do to help.

That was my initial guess

On 8/27/2022 at 2:47 PM, _Eric_ said:

Other ideas are that this can be symptoms of some diseases or also ph shock

I'm starting to wonder this tbh. I temp acclimated well but only ph acclimated by adding water once and didn't let it sit very long at all. I was super sick and in a hurry. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 8/27/2022 at 6:53 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I'm starting to wonder this tbh. I temp acclimated well but only ph acclimated by adding water once and didn't let it sit very long at all. I was super sick and in a hurry. 

It’s hard to tell.  I usually only temp acclimate new fish.  I haven’t had many issues.

If Ph, they should settle down.  If it is going to kill them, it usually does it quickly.  

On 8/27/2022 at 7:26 PM, _Eric_ said:

It’s hard to tell.  I usually only temp acclimate new fish.  I haven’t had many issues.

If Ph, they should settle down.  If it is going to kill them, it usually does it quickly.  

Then it's probably lt not ph. They hadn't settled down in 48 hours and 3 died after 24