Any familiar with Triops longicaudatus as live in tank food?

Guppysnail

On 8/26/2022 at 2:20 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I kept them once a very long time ago ( sold as an alternative to sea monkeys) but they grew quite large and that shell might make them problematic.

But they are interesting and easy they reproduce readily that was issue with them, I went from 3 to 30 in weeks.

I looked into a few types. These are only supposed to get 2 mm but I did not realize the shell got real hard. Thanks. 

On 8/26/2022 at 4:08 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I wonder if they would be the answer the pea puffer people are looking for

They come in different size types. You may just be onto something 

PS I ordered some just because curiosity got the better if me. Also got fairy shrimp eggs . I’m like 5 years old when it comes to curiosity🤣

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

My daughter kept triops for years. They are ‘’miracle” pets in that if you decide to stop keeping them and let the tank and substrate dry out, you can just add water at a later date and voila! You’re back in triops territory again. Hers got pretty big as I recall— much larger than sea monkeys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2022 at 11:24 PM, Patrick_G said:

I think I may have to try these for my puffer.  

@Guppysnail, did you buy eggs? 

Yup I bought them on Amazon. @modified lungbought this brand if a different egg type and it hatched. Triops I learned can be different sizes it depends on which ones you are dealing with. Some can get I think 2 centimeters????

21AA2A46-D6E8-43DD-9BD0-083FE63B9B75.png

On 8/26/2022 at 10:34 PM, PineSong said:

My daughter kept triops for years. They are ‘’miracle” pets in that if you decide to stop keeping them and let the tank and substrate dry out, you can just add water at a later date and voila! You’re back in triops territory again. Hers got pretty big as I recall— much larger than sea monkeys. 

These particular ones are supposed to top out at 2 mm. 🤞🏻 If not I have way cool freshwater pets …mini horseshoe crab 🤣

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 8:30 AM, PineSong said:

This is the video that got my daughter hooked on them, and it shows their size relative to RCS and next to a ruler.

Thanks for sharing that video. Very cool. 
hmmm I have no idea what I was reading that said 1-2 mm. ??? Well I guess I cannot use these as they are larger than the fish I was going to feed 🤣 

This does up the possibility as puffer food though. 

Edited by Guppysnail

On 8/27/2022 at 9:32 AM, Guppysnail said:

Thanks for sharing that video. Very cool. 
hmmm I have no idea what I was reading that said 1-2 mm. ??? Well I guess I cannot use these as they are larger than the fish I was going to feed 🤣 

This does up the possibility as puffer food though. 

That is their adult size, maybe your fish can eat juveniles. I do not recall how tiny the juveniles were but I do recall they grow and age rapidly. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 9:37 AM, PineSong said:

That is their adult size, maybe your fish can eat juveniles. I do not recall how tiny the juveniles were but I do recall they grow and age rapidly. 

Hmmm. I’m hesitant because if they don’t get eaten my scarlet badis are smaller by half than them and I do t want my panda and badis eggs eaten. I think I will hand this adventure entirely over to @Flumpweesel and @Patrick_G as possible puffer food. 

• Like 2

I’ve done a little reading in the past on Triops sp. and found that what seems to be the most accurate info says their eggs require being dried out in order to trigger hatching.  So they aren’t really very self-perpetuating in the way we would want them to be in the aquarium setting.  If you can grow them to maturity, make sure they lay eggs, dry out the container, then add water again (how soon to add water depends on the species or subspecies), you could keep several containers and maybe have a continual supply of food.  They also get pretty big with 1-10 cm mostly quoted (despite some sources saying 1-2 mm).  I wonder if they hatch at 1-2 mm size?

• Like 2

I've looked into them as a potential oddball shrimp or as a pet on their own. They ended up being just a little more weird than I was comfortable with, and hard to tell for sure whether they'd be community safe or try to eat things once they got big.

Edited by drewzero1
  • Like 2