Outdoor Tubbing and Fry Farm

Pic #1: The way the light hit the gold white clouds made me stop for a second. I only just put them in this bucket so I haven’t had any fry out of them yet. 

Pics #2-3: I made a fry system with floating plastic food containers, based off of Dean’s system. They have air and water running to each. They have platinum rice fish and CPD fry respectively. There are also some Neon dwarf rainbows that snuck in, but I won’t know which ones are the rainbows till they get bigger 😂

9B8F484F-00D8-438E-84BA-6C55AAD26A0B.jpeg

ECC98121-9110-4572-8029-68BD61EC56DB.jpeg

FDB11C3A-7692-4A50-8B87-19B3A9D634F0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/26/2022 at 8:46 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

I’ve breed white clouds before but the adults always get the babies do you know if there’s a way to grow them out in the same tank or pond or should I remove them?

Usually a lot of thick cover. I have used mostly plants or make a quick fry trap. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/diy-fry-trap I used dean's trap for live bearers and move eggs into a floating basket with holes too small for adults. Once the fry get big enough just dump out the trap.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2022 at 10:45 PM, AnimalNerd98 said:

The haul of the platinum ricefish fry I raised from the outdoor tubs (started with 5 adults).

DE620228-EC30-4EE5-B8B3-D95F3A629D81.jpeg

4C537C72-EA7F-4E61-A7A2-68ABBB713FB3.jpeg

CDEA2258-96FC-461D-9313-D7D4201AAE54.jpeg

Nice did you end up with any white cloud fry? I might try dump some extras a buddy gave me outdoors next summer.

For reference, What size was you outdoor bucket in the first post?

On 9/29/2022 at 8:15 PM, K McZongo said:

Nice did you end up with any white cloud fry? I might try dump some extras a buddy gave me outdoors next summer.

For reference, What size was you outdoor bucket in the first post?

Sadly, no I didn’t get any white cloud fry. I did passive breeding in a 20 gallon tub last year and got about 8 that raised up, but I think the 5 gallon I had them in this year was just too small for any fry to raise up. It might work if I rotated spawning mops/floating plants. Also, I dropped them into the pond right away from the store so they may not have adjusted well before I pulled them in (there was a cold snap).