Is It Possible To Have Too Much Fish Food Variety?

Fishy101

I was scrolling through the website here looking at all of the amazing sounding fish foods, and was just wondering is it possible to have too much variety in a fish's diet, or is more variety better? I like to give my fish some good variety but I was wondering how many foods are too many? And what are your suggestions for some fish foods to try out (I have a betta, tetras, corys, and a couple others)?

Thanks!

Having a vary diet is really good for fish but don't over do it, like I have seen people having 10 different foods to feed for a single tank but I believe its just a waste of money. I feed my south american fish vibra bites, blood worms, brine shrimp, and tetra tropical flakes. My clownfish I feed them marine cuisine and brine shrimp. Lastly my puffers eat bloodworms and clams. For most of your fish you can just feed them flakes or small pellets and for corys maybe give them sinking wafers and some bloodworms. The corys will still eat what your fish don't eat that drops to the bottom but its still best if you try to feed them with what I said earlier.

• Like 2

Most farm and breeder stick to 1 or 3 food they really like. 

Fish food is pretty high quality now, it should give your fish a round about diet already.  I like to mix everything into 1 and feed that as a daily. It help my fish from being too picky and it keep their bacteria gut more constant.

Does it really matter if you have Mcdonald, burgerking, wendy every other days? What really matter is how well you fish is willing to eat it and how their waste look like. 

• Like 2

I throw in something algae based and something protein based. I might switch time when shopping but if I find something they go nuts for I stick until the LFS stops stocking it (inevitable).

I throw in live or frozen as whim takes me generally have some in.

Lots of different foods are risky of waste as they don't last forever and you will find yourself and the fish flavouring some do others might get thrown away. Food shopping is my LFS excuse so I don't want to much stock on hand or I'll never get to visit them.

• Like 2

I don’t you can’t have to many but there is only so many you can you use before the go bad. I use some BBS everday , and krill flakes everyday. I. Feed four times a day so they are not getting much at a time. The fry do get more BBS. I have some foods with for bottom feeds that are an algae wafer mostly and shrimp wafers for the corys a L plecos that are more carnivorous. After the BBS and KRILL FLAKES, I used bug bites I like the black soilder fly in it and a Blackworm/plankton/krill/ spirlina flake. 
Last I keep a few frozen blood worms and decap brine shrimp for emergencies. 
So I have two everyday foods and several others foods that get rotated every other day or third day. I keep my foods in the freezer. So they last longer. So you can many foods  cas long you balance then needs of all your fish I not feed v

• Like 1

I keep a fairly large variety of foods05354FA6-5B77-410D-9C05-E6DD9C72E429.jpeg.c28b9707c42e5e786e786f2e22d14e3d.jpeg

but it’s more of bottom feeder/ shrimp/ snail selection, small community, and large fish. I also have frozen foods and a blackworm culture. I mostly buy smaller containers so there is a good amount of turn over. If something gets to old I’ll feed it to my blackworms or because it’s a small container not such a waste.

krill flake I store the large container so to open as little as possible and refill a small container and a squeeze bottle same with nano pellets. For larger fish I mix 4 different foods to feed from 1 container. I do the same with community fish but I’m more likely to feed smaller fish from a single container than a mix.

suggested food to try are sera o-nip tabs.

• Like 2

I have tried many different types and brands over the years and, in my opinion, yes, you can have too much.

I have never owned more than 1 moderately stocked tank at a time though, so obviously my food usage is lower than a breeder or hardcore hobbyist. Much of my food, even bought in the smallest package and with freezing, takes me years to go through.

However, all that being said, I think there is nothing wrong with trying and experimenting new things. Some people want to try new fish species, some new aquascapes, and some new foods for their family pet. As long as you can afford it, why not try a new food?

Edited by Jayci
  • Like 1

to echo some of what's above too much is when it starts to go bad before you can us it i would take 1 pellet food that's fresh over 3 that are months old.

also most good pellet foods are similar as far as ingredients in my opinion so you have your green stuff your meat based stuff and that's about it after that its more  down to form factor sinking floating sticks pellets etcetera the way i gave my fish diversity was froze food or human food like fruits and vegetables.

• Like 1

@faceI agree that you real are feeding the green or meat. How you choose to do that is really it it can be many foods or one. I feel that the more people I chat the more that I think the more tanks you have the more different types of food they use. I think it’s because you can or will use them before they go bad. 

Edited by rockfisher
  • Like 1