Ziss bio media filter and setting up for least killifish

TeeJay

On 8/27/2022 at 12:02 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

There is quite a few different media types, I don't really view that as a drawback, but just a facet of this type of a filtration method

Yeah, exactly this. There's all these debates over what media is best and has the most surface area. Then you have people that do some kind of test and try to tell you which is best. But how much of the surface area you're actually using and how efficiently depends on quite a lot. So someone else's testing isn't all that relevant to what you're doing. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 6:37 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Here’s the link. Mine’s in production. He does them custom, based on requests - custom to filter brand, choose your color, message him with desired features, and he will message back with photos of options for you. I asked for one that is appropriate for a waterline 1” down. 

I think this would be a good option. Never hurts to have additional flow dampening. I mean it is a tidal and I can turn the flow way down but this would be a nice addition to it.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:00 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The green container is your lift tube. If you want more flow just add more air. If you are having issues (apart rom just unhappy with it, I totally understand that!) Please feel free to send me a video of your setup with flow on a message so I can better help in any way.  I haven't had many issues, but I have thoroughly tested them in various setups.

Watch what is happening in the filter, the media swirls inside, very little movement THOUGH the filter. I other words it would take a VERY long time to cycle the tank water through it.  See what I mean?

Which one do you use? does it have a lift tube of any kind? I've never seen one out of the box with one. I kind of doubt it is possible to have one because all the media would bunch up at the outlet. 

On 8/27/2022 at 9:08 AM, Wrencher_Scott said:

Watch what is happening in the filter, the media swirls inside, very little movement THOUGH the filter. I other words it would take a VERY long time to cycle the tank water through it.  See what I mean?

I can get that think pumping pretty fast. I understand what you're saying, but I think you may inadvertently be experiencing some issues you're not aware of and don't know to alleviate them.

I would think that a "giant" or rectangular or slightly bigger shape for a moving bed filter will be a lot more effective at working as a solo filter.  The first thing mentioned in the thread was how I specifically do not recommend these as your only filtration.  Running 2+ of them, probably fine, but one.... it's a little easy to clog them up.

The lift tube on the ziss is the entire green plastic tube. It's not what you think of when you use that word, but the actual "tube" itself is the filter and all the media lives inside that tube. The flow is done with air, just like any other use case for that filtration method.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 12:24 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I can get that think pumping pretty fast. I understand what you're saying, but I think you may inadvertently be experiencing some issues you're not aware of and don't know to alleviate them.

I would think that a "giant" or rectangular or slightly bigger shape for a moving bed filter will be a lot more effective at working as a solo filter.  The first thing mentioned in the thread was how I specifically do not recommend these as your only filtration.  Running 2+ of them, probably fine, but one.... it's a little easy to clog them up.

The lift tube on the ziss is the entire green plastic tube. It's not what you think of when you use that word, but the actual "tube" itself is the filter and all the media lives inside that tube. The flow is done with air, just like any other use case for that filtration method.

Again, it's not a lift tube, its a box circulating water inside of it. If it was a lift tube the media would travel to the top not swirl around in there. Watch it close and try to picture what I'm talking about. 

edit: I think if one could figure a way  to put a lift tube on top of it it would work pretty good. K1 is very good media. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott

On 8/27/2022 at 5:54 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

edit: I think if one could figure a way  to put a lift tube on top of it it would work pretty good. K1 is very good media.

I understand what you're talking about. I am just saying... the media chamber is doing the same exact thing as a lift tube.

If you want to mod it, get a 3d printer and measure the opening on the top of the ziss, make a custom lid. Easy to do it because you can use the measurements on the existing piece. You will need a pretty tall tank, and then just add a grill / guard at the base of the lid so the media stays below the modified cap. This is similar to what the ziss has now. The cap has a pathway for the water to escape as well as the grill to keep the media from blocking that path.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 3:37 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Here’s the link. Mine’s in production. He does them custom, based on requests - custom to filter brand, choose your color, message him with desired features, and he will message back with photos of options for you. I asked for one that is appropriate for a waterline 1” down. 

They look really nice.

On 8/27/2022 at 6:06 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I understand what you're talking about. I am just saying... the media chamber is doing the same exact thing as a lift tube.

If you want to mod it, get a 3d printer and measure the opening on the top of the ziss, make a custom lid. Easy to do it because you can use the measurements on the existing piece. You will need a pretty tall tank, and then just add a grill / guard at the base of the lid so the media stays below the modified cap. This is similar to what the ziss has now. The cap has a pathway for the water to escape as well as the grill to keep the media from blocking that path.

I'm pretty sure you know that a lift tube is, a tube that pulls water up through it using air bubbles. These Ziss filters do not have that. They are using air yes, but the water is just swirling around inside. Watch the media, you can tell exactly what the water is doing by watching the media. 

We all know how important it is to have good flow, lots of us buy filters according to flow rates compared to tank size. The ziss has next to no flow. It has lots of flow inside it but not going through it. It's like hooking the in and out pipes on a canister filter together. What good is that?

Anyway, someone needs to figure out a way to make one that flows lots of water though it, that would be great.