Hail Hydra! No really how do I get rid of them in a tank?

Tedrock

- feed less if possible

- install honey or sparkling gourami 

- can nuke with some types of dewormer - have never tried. 

For me they seem most unavoidable in single-occupant tanks where no one eats them. Only guppy fry? Hydra. Guppy fry and parents? No hydra. Betta tank? Hydra.  Community tanks? No hydra. 

I have not yet seen them to be more than vaguely annoying and kind of interesting. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I got a good chuckle from the "Hail Hydra"  Thanks.  

Second,  I just discovered I have Hydra also.  I did the googles and youtubies,  and I from watching some videos have order from Amazon.  "SOBAKEN Genchem No Planaria Shrimp Safe Planaria Hydra Killer Shrimp Fish Planted Tank"  It will be here Thursday.  

I will chime back in here next week to let you know how it went.

Mk

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2020 at 9:12 PM, RovingGinger said:

- feed less if possible

- install honey or sparkling gourami 

- can nuke with some types of dewormer - have never tried. 

For me they seem most unavoidable in single-occupant tanks where no one eats them. Only guppy fry? Hydra. Guppy fry and parents? No hydra. Betta tank? Hydra.  Community tanks? No hydra. 

I have not yet seen them to be more than vaguely annoying and kind of interesting. 

Will pearl gouramis eat them too? Also, I've read that pond snails will eat them if they come across while grazing. Their biology is fascinating but I am not particularly thrilled with them being in my tank, and hoping my future pearl will snack on them! 

After 2 doses the SOBAKEN Genchem No Planaria Shrimp Safe Planaria Hydra Killer Shrimp Fish Planted Tank"   worked on killing the Hydra.   It also killed all the snails.  I only has pond snails.   
C58845E8-3F7D-4F34-9259-334CA896AF77.jpeg.0ee89b7545efed397069df05ff5a87ec.jpeg

Edited by Mary K

If this is in a shrimp tank or something other that they may cause harm, then I would consider using panacur c or no planaria.  The general of thumb for panacur c is 0.1g per 10 gallon.  That has worked for me mostly, however, in one instance I did have to go up to 0.2g per 10 gallon.  

If this is a tank with fish, then I am inclined to just let my fish eat them off.  

ac98f85167aff6a343cb99c9c4244aaeb6-26-evil-captain-america.rhorizontal_w700.jpg.18e2e6d22f5cfe75bdd00082d015ea2d.jpg

Photo: Jesus Saiz and Joe Caramagna/Marvel Entertainment

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/3/2020 at 12:27 PM, Maggie said:

Will pearl gouramis eat them too? Also, I've read that pond snails will eat them if they come across while grazing. Their biology is fascinating but I am not particularly thrilled with them being in my tank, and hoping my future pearl will snack on them! 

So far I have watched my pond snail babies scooch right on through my patch of hydra...I actually watch intently to see if they get stung.  They kinda stop, then redirect to a different path when they encounter one.  It's super cool to watch, actually.  My gigundo snails (also of the pond variety...bladder and ramshorns) could definitely eat them if they wanted to. They avoid that area of glass. I don't feed the tank anything (it only has plants and hitchhiker snails so far), so I would say, in my limited experience, pond snails cannot be counted on to snack on hydra.

• Like 2