A bad day and lost guppies

Patrick_G

Last Thursday I planned on buying buying 40 red cherry shrimp from a person in our local aquarium club. That meant leaving the island where I live so I figured that I would also take some guppies to a LFS. I put them in a bucket and wedged it into the passenger footwell. All went well at first, I ferried to the “mainland” and started the drive to the LFS. About five minutes later the car in front of me stopped short causing me to slam on the brakes and go from 40-0mph in about 2 seconds. The water and the guppies shoot out of the bucket at close to 40mph and the car immediately stalled! A few good Samaritans pushed me into the turn lane, but it was a good five minutes before I could try and save the guppies. I managed to save 4-5 out of about 15 and put then in the remaining inch of water. I called for a tow and was taken to a garage a few blocks from a Petco. I took my bucket of shocked guppies and walked there to see if they could help. The hero fish woman filled a big koi bag with conditioned water so the fish would have a chance on the Uber ride back to the ferry. 

By the time I got back home the poor guppies has been in a bucket or a bag for something like 3 hours. I put them back in the tank and four survived. 3212156D-821D-42D8-A29C-48C1A72E8495.jpeg.5cd7ec843caa0ecda764e03403d87ee2.jpeg

• Sad 6

Very tragic. One of my biggest concerns when moving fish is exactly this. They do sell lids for the buckets.  Something dean has mentioned is that he bags the fish and it makes it slightly easier for the store. Just something that might help given the travel situation. I 1000% understand not wanting to bag them.

I hope that you, the car, everything is ok.

And a huge thank you to the store employee that helped out.

• Like 1

Yeah, my dumb move for not using a lid. I was going to bag them but it hot and I wanted a much water as possible to minimize temperature swings. 

I’m fine, the car is old so it’s hard to tell if the water or sudden stop did any damage. It seems to have fixed itself. 

On 8/24/2022 at 3:20 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

And a huge thank you to the store employee that helped out.

Yes! A shout out to the North Tacoma Petco! 

On 8/24/2022 at 6:39 PM, Patrick_G said:

Yeah, my dumb move for not using a lid. I was going to bag them but it hot and I wanted a much water as possible to minimize temperature swings. 

I’m fine, the car is old so it’s hard to tell if the water or sudden stop did any damage. It seems to have fixed itself. 

Yes! A shout out to the North Tacoma Petco! 

What if you bagged them., but then put them in the bucket with water? Would that help keep the temp more stable? That way if something like that happened again (forbid) then you just get a bit of sloshed water from the bucket, but the fish are still safe in the bag.

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 2

On 8/24/2022 at 3:51 PM, FLFishChik said:

What if you bagged them., but them put them in the bucket with water?

I agree that’s a good idea. I’ll be getting some large bags for just this situation. 

On 8/24/2022 at 4:03 PM, lefty o said:

that sucks. when moving fish i use 5 gallon buckets with them hard to get off snap on lids. i absolutely fear the same thing happening.

I almost used a five gallon but for some reason I grabbed my little two gallon water change bucket. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 4:21 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Sorry about that bad day, I've traveled with open buckets without thinking about it before now. But as with all cautionary tales there is a lesson for us all here.

Hope you still got your shrimp.

The shrimp seller was understanding. I still need to contact her and set up another pickup time.  I’m excited to get the 40. With that many I might finally get a colony started. 

• Love 1

So sorry this happened.  I had the bottom break out of styrofoam in transport once. 
I use these when I’m transporting to many to bag and drill holes in the lid since it’s a 45 minute drive to my lfs in heavy traffic. I always fear something will happen. This is my safeguard for long time extension. 

FF2AE44C-E92C-4B76-9A96-4E97ADC74713.png

• Like 1

This episode had a funny ending. 
After the petco hero bagged up my remaining fish I called an Uber. She showed up in a pink Tesla and I’m thinking that she’s not going to want a bucket of fish in her expensive car. I hopped in, explained the situational and it turns out she’s a total nerm with multiple Axolotl tanks, dart frogs, a bearded dragon and others. The bucket of fish didn’t phase her at all. 😄

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Oh dude, I am so sorry that happened, @Patrick_G.  That is a rough day! 

On 8/25/2022 at 10:34 AM, Patrick_G said:

After the petco hero bagged up my remaining fish I called an Uber. She showed up in a pink Tesla and I’m thinking that she’s not going to want a bucket of fish in her expensive car. I hopped in, explained the situational and it turns out she’s a total nerm with multiple Axolotl tanks, dart frogs, a bearded dragon and others. The bucket of fish didn’t phase her at all.

Now that's what I call a first class ride! 

• Haha 1