Ick won’t go away

RobsFishWorld

I’ve been dealing with ick for a week and a half now almost 2 weeks. I’ve turned up the heat and I’ve been treating with seachem paraguard. I did throw in aquarium salt one day and it was in the tank for about 24 hours until I noticed my angelfish having some redness around his fins and mouth so I did a water change and the redness went away. Guess I added to much salt even though I followed the directions. I have a electric blue acara with white spots witch he’s had spots since this ick started and he’s not looking better but he’s not doing a lot of scratching on decorations surprisingly. I also have 4 Roseline sharks that are Scratching on everything like crazy but they don’t have any white spots at all. My angelfish had a couple of spots one day but went away the next.

If it’s not responding, it might not be Ich. It could be Epistylus instead.  Ich tends to cause very uniform, very fine white dots.  Epistylus dots will be less uniform size, may be more raised, and they thrive at higher temps where Ich doesn’t.  Treatment is still Ich-X at label dosage, and at least 1 tablespoon aquarium salt per 10 gallons, but you DON’T raise the temp if it’s Epistylus.  Either will respond even better to treatment if it includes a UV filter to help clear the parasite’s intermediate stages out of the water.

Do you have a pic of the fish with spots?

As some of the stops look raised and you have spots on the eye you could be dealing with Epistylis that feed's of gram negative bacteria on your fish and spreads more quickly at higher temperatures what I would do is combined treatment of kanaplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days and ick x to treat the tank @RobsFishWorld

IMG_20220714_201326.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1