Issues With Sword Plant

How long have you had this sword?  That is exactly how my newer swords get. Mine are usually grown above water when I purchase them. Those leaves only last for a bit under water. They cannot effectively “breath” under water.  They stay while the sword is growing new submerged growth leaves which are a bit thinner and often narrower and better suited to “breathing” underwater. Once those leaves begin appearing the old air grown leaves melt in the same fashion as your pictures for me. I hope this helps and if this is not a newer (less than a few months with you) plant please ignore this. 

On 8/23/2022 at 6:04 AM, Guppysnail said:

How long have you had this sword?  That is exactly how my newer swords get. Mine are usually grown above water when I purchase them. Those leaves only last for a bit under water. They cannot effectively “breath” under water.  They stay while the sword is growing new submerged growth leaves which are a bit thinner and often narrower and better suited to “breathing” underwater. Once those leaves begin appearing the old air grown leaves melt in the same fashion as your pictures for me. I hope this helps and if this is not a newer (less than a few months with you) plant please ignore this. 

Actually, it is newer. It’s been in the tank about 6-7 weeks. So I’m hoping it’s just melting? Some of the younger, newer leaves are getting holes as well so I’m hoping that any new growth won’t.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 12:37 PM, rockfisher said:

Potassium level can cause hikes in leaves of swords. I know seachem has a potassium product but if you can find one that goes in the substrate for swords is better but i bet on that being the issue.

Thank you for the info. I’m waiting to see how the new leaves come in to determine if it’s still adjusting or if it really is a deficiency of sorts. Keeping my fingers crossed that it’s still just adjusting.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:51 PM, FLFishChik said:

Thank you for the info. I’m waiting to see how the new leaves come in to determine if it’s still adjusting or if it really is a deficiency of sorts. Keeping my fingers crossed that it’s still just adjusting.

I meant holes not hikes but I’m going through the same thing with some small ones that o got and that was what I narrowed it down too. I had the problem once before.

• Like 1