Guppy question……stumped??

Jstewart0925

Se i set up my daughters 10 gallon tank about month and a half ago got it cycled it. Added 3 guppies like a week ago for now starting slow I’ve had guppies in a 20 gallon long years ago never had issues with them but I’m not sure if it’s something up with the tank or just these fish. Do guppies normally stay closer to the top of the water? 

The ammonia is 0. Nitrites 0 nitrates is like 20 or so. Hob filter and a airstone so I know it has plenty of surface agitation. Thanks in advance. 

It seems like you are aware that this can be an indication of lack of oxygen which can be from ammonia or lack of surface agitation but it also seems like you have already checked both of those out. 

Guppies do tend to hang out at the top. They will venture down from time to time but the top is where they feel most comfortable and safe. Because of this it is common for them to do this even more in a new environment and new tank. I'm guessing this is what is going on. They are just needing time to adjust to their new space.

Just to make sure it isn't oxygen, they do act different if it is an O2 problem vs comfort. If it is O2 they will be sticking their mouth up to gasp for air. If it is just comfort their mouth will face any direction. 

I hope this helps!

On 8/22/2022 at 5:50 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Temperature?

On 8/22/2022 at 5:51 PM, Cinnebuns said:

It seems like you are aware that this can be an indication of lack of oxygen which can be from ammonia or lack of surface agitation but it also seems like you have already checked both of those out. 

Guppies do tend to hang out at the top. They will venture down from time to time but the top is where they feel most comfortable and safe. Because of this it is common for them to do this even more in a new environment and new tank. I'm guessing this is what is going on. They are just needing time to adjust to their new space.

Just to make sure it isn't oxygen, they do act different if it is an O2 problem vs comfort. If it is O2 they will be sticking their mouth up to gasp for air. If it is just comfort their mouth will face any direction. 

I hope this helps!

The not gasping just hanging under the frogbit the come down from time to time messing around then go back. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 6:27 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Cinnebuns higher temps create less dissolved oxygen so your original thought was correct. 🤗

I seem to remember something with PH changing the effects of something too but I'm pretty sure that's ammonia toxicity right?

It also makes me wonder how higher temp species deal with o2 then. Especially bettas that are higher temp and low flow. Maybe they require less?

Adding:  to answer my own questiom with bettas they breath air at the surface. But still there are other high temp species.