Plants start dying after a year

Gannon

Hello! I've put together some amazing scapes and have always had great success with plants no matter the substrate or light... in the first year. I grew a dense dwarf sag carpet and had the biggest java fern I've seen in my 29 gallon tank just for those to die back a lot. I had amazing huge anubias, java fern, and amazon sword in my 125 for those to also die back after a year of the tank running just like the other tank. It's very odd because in both tanks other plants are doing great like pogostemon octopus and jungle val and crypts. 

I stay on top of fertilizing more than ever before with plenty of root tabs and dosing even a little more than the recommended amount of fertilizer since these tanks get so dense with plants surely they need more. But this happens practically every time with every tank with few exceptions. Any advice? Suggestions? Thanks! 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 1:30 AM, Gannon said:

Hello! I've put together some amazing scapes and have always had great success with plants no matter the substrate or light... in the first year. I grew a dense dwarf sag carpet and had the biggest java fern I've seen in my 29 gallon tank just for those to die back a lot. I had amazing huge anubias, java fern, and amazon sword in my 125 for those to also die back after a year of the tank running just like the other tank. It's very odd because in both tanks other plants are doing great like pogostemon octopus and jungle val and crypts. 

I stay on top of fertilizing more than ever before with plenty of root tabs and dosing even a little more than the recommended amount of fertilizer since these tanks get so dense with plants surely they need more. But this happens practically every time with every tank with few exceptions. Any advice? Suggestions? Thanks! 

Maybe they grew sooo close to the light that they got burnt? I've also gotta say that it's extremely unusual for them to just die straight away. 

it might be that the plants have grown so large that they are consuming the nitrates at an accelerated rate and may require more fertilizer than the current dose. As plants get bigger, they consume more... it could just be a matter of increasing your dosing or dosing more frequently.

• Like 3