Ziss Bubble Filter

TJB5280

I love those filters I have them dedicated to 6 tanks, 3 of which it is the only filter and it does fine, the other 3 I have hobs as well for mechanical filtration. I don’t see why that wouldn’t work they are great for turtle tanks and applications that need a lot of ammonia converted, I think it would be fine personally. I think they are in some applications better then sponges bc they contain a small sponge and house arguably more surface area for beneficial bacteria then most sponges so pre cycled I think it might be the same, if not better (I think better). They don’t create much current I agree with that as well.

• Like 1

I generally only use these as a secondary filter in a tank.  Not necessarily for polishing, but as a method to host very strong bacteria and to keep air running during water changes.  I have ran 3 of these on a 75 with additional HoBs and it wasn't insane flow, if that gives you an idea of how much or how little these things do with flow.  the sponge at the bottom is very, very small compared to something like a sponge filter and you probably could even just replace it with a fine pad if you wanted.  I have issues with them gunking up over time, so I don't recommend them as a primary for that reason.  After a certain amount of time you need to take them apart, clean out the air inlet to make sure a bit of muck hasn't stopped the flow too much. 

It happens, but If you had the ability to run your own ziss airstone I think you'd have a slightly easier product to recommend as a solo filter.

• Like 1