Egg ID?

Lvkas

Are these mystery snail eggs?  I’ve googled images of mystery snail eggs and these don’t seem to match up. 

The tank has pearl gouramis, emerald corydoras, otocinclus, a rainbow shark, and a bristlenose.

They’re also below the water line, I read that mystery snails lay their eggs above the waterline?

Ty for any possible help. 82F45D74-095B-4D28-B8E0-13EBFA738997.jpeg.5ab3d944a516c12c3d25601fed07bc99.jpeg22A1F7B9-2451-4E36-98CB-980B7D90BBC5.jpeg.26744e28803568de0835621fa746caf4.jpeg891B433F-B023-4910-A686-DCD5878E3B4C.jpeg.fac4ca5bfc5ca8a0f0246c9dc735e8d0.jpeg

Edited by Lvkas
Added extra information

On 8/21/2022 at 5:30 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Well that's just terrifying. LOL.

I don't think I ever saw the nerites with stuff like that.  I am officially on team nerite and off team mystery snail 😂

Lol that's completely fair. For the longest time I was anti snail and then for awhile I was anti any snail but nerites but nerites became a gateway drug for me lol. Nerites are def the snail I advise for people who don't like snails for many reasons including this one!

On 8/21/2022 at 5:02 PM, Cinnebuns said:

It's from a mystery snail but it's not eggs...

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea I'm amazed you didn't get this one!!!

ITS POOP!!  

Mystery snail poop is very often mistaken for eggs. 

Did it eat rice crispies? Lol. I'm struggling with size in the photo. I can't make that remotely resemble anything I've seen my mysteries poop.

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2022 at 3:32 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Lol that's completely fair. For the longest time I was anti snail and then for awhile I was anti any snail but nerites but nerites became a gateway drug for me lol. Nerites are def the snail I advise for people who don't like snails for many reasons including this one!

Yeah.  In a non wood tank, I don't mind nerites one bit.  They are cool.  I saw the photo this morning, was not expecting that result. LOL.  oh whale....

I thought it was some crazy scuds or something at first.

On 8/21/2022 at 6:02 PM, Katherine said:

Did it eat rice crispies? Lol. I'm struggling with size in the photo. I can't make that remotely resemble anything I've seen my mysteries poop.

I've def seen it come out of them like this but I've also seen it not as grainy. I think maybe sometimes the factor is they walk on it and squish it?  Idk just an idea. 

I used to have a picture of some of it that fell onto my heater but it seems I deleted that pic. But I used to have photographic evidence lol

On 8/21/2022 at 6:18 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah.  In a non wood tank, I don't mind nerites one bit.  They are cool.  I saw the photo this morning, was not expecting that result. LOL.  oh whale....

I thought it was some crazy scuds or something at first.

It's honestly a fairly common question in mystery snail groups on Facebook and people are always shocked. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 8/21/2022 at 6:34 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I've def seen it come out of them like this but I've also seen it not as grainy. I think maybe sometimes the factor is they walk on it and squish it? 

I think the issue for me is that I can't really tell how big the bits are. They look huge in the photo. I've never taken really zoomed in photos of my snails' poop. And it doesn't usually end up stuck to the glass in my tank either.

On 8/21/2022 at 6:50 PM, Katherine said:

I think the issue for me is that I can't really tell how big the bits are. They look huge in the photo. I've never taken really zoomed in photos of my snails' poop. And it doesn't usually end up stuck to the glass in my tank either.

That's fair. I can't speak for these specific photos but in my experience they aren't large bits. Maybe @Lvkas can speak to the scale of the pics and the particles. 

On 8/21/2022 at 7:52 PM, Cinnebuns said:

That's fair. I can't speak for these specific photos but in my experience they aren't large bits. Maybe @Lvkas can speak to the scale of the pics and the particles. 

The cluster was about 2 inches from the rim of my 40g tank.

The size of the entire cluster was about 5-10mm I’d say?

It’s gone after a water change I did yesterday so I can’t exactly measure it but the roots behind it in the last photo are from salvinia for an added reference point. 

On 8/22/2022 at 11:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

My snails like to hang at the water line and “read the newspaper” leaving these lovely “gifts” 🤣

What's funny is when my tetras start to do the feeding frenzy over it and then put the brakes on like, oh wait, nevermind.  Abort! Abort!

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 2

On 8/22/2022 at 10:20 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

What's funny is when my tetras start to do the feeding frenzy over it and then put the brakes on like, oh wait, nevermind.  Abort! Abort!

Haha! Mine do too. 

I've even seen several snails in the middle of eating turn around to eat their own poop as it comes out. 🤦

• Haha 1

Their poo varies in size color and texture depending on what they have eaten. If it is a girl it will vary depending on where they are in their egg cycle or if a male has recently mated with them (last applies to boys attempting mating with boys as well). 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 12:12 PM, Guppysnail said:

Their poo varies in size color and texture depending on what they have eaten. If it is a gurl it will vary depending on where they are in their egg cycle or if a male has recently mated with them (last applies to buys attempting mating with boys as well). 

Fascinating, I will have to keep that in mind. The poop I just watched was similar to BBS eggs in shape and size  where the photo they must have been .5-1mm in diameter and tan.