Fiddle-leaf fig leaves in aquarium?...

bryanisag

Anybody tried this? I just lost a leaf from my new plant and was wondering if anybody has tried putting this in their fish tanks? 

Should I bake it first? Should I rinse it first? Do you think home Depot could have sprayed and chemicals on this plant before I received it? 

16611000266225684897942447555824.jpg

16611000496133675871393819592411.jpg

16611000657336904842114138490256.jpg

I would not put that leaf in the tank.  Adding anything dead and green can cause an ammonia spike.  I frequently add leaves to my tanks, but only the ones that were dry and brown when they fell off of the tree.

Other than that, I don't know if fig leaves are okay or not.  The only ones I use are post oak, red oak, magnolia, and sycamore.

You can use ficus leaves in aquariums. You can also use green leaves in your aquarium. I would avoid using the leaves of a plant you got at homedepot. At least not the leaves that came with the plant. Many of the nurseries that supply them treat their plants with systemic insecticides. It's not something that's really going to be dangerous to you or your fish. However, it is a danger if you have invertebrates in your aquarium. Some plants have it on the label. It tells you what the plant was treated with. All in all, if you have detrivores, like snails and shrimp, most leaves are fine to put in your aquarium (green of brown). Especially if you have live plants in your aquarium. Then you don't have to worry about nitrate spikes.