Unlevel tank stand

DIYDan

Hi all,

I constructed my first stand for a 75G rimmed tank. It was level when I checked before adding water, but after filling the tank, I noticed two things:

1. Uneven water line (about 1/4") to the front left corner.

2. the middle front and back of the tank is not touching the 3/4" plywood top of the stand; there is less than 1/8" of space. Corners are all touching.

Can I/should I shim the front left the corner with the tank full? And do I need to do anything about the middle rim? I have read mixed info on both. 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

For #2 can you show a photo?  How far off is it in terms of stacks of paper or something?

I would think that when it was constructed it may have shifted or may no longer be level in a pretty bad spot.  (I sent a video via DM of a similar tank failure)

Depending if the tank is on something, a pad, etc. to help balance the load along the length of the tank, I can't really say right now that I would trust the stand. The other question I have is whether this is a 4 leg (one on each corner) or 6-8 leg stand?  Is the middle of the stand loading the floor?

Welcome to the forums, also!!!

Is this set up on carpet or a floating floor? Both could cause it being level then out of level when weight is added.I would recommend draining the tank re level the stand using composite shims and keep check on level as your filling every 20% of water-ish. Only making very minimal adjustments as you add more water. The more water added the more chance moving will cause stress on seams and corners.10251DAA-69E2-44F5-A66A-23EFB3C36AE7.png.b952e02b00bcc99aa4cd8d814c89b51b.png

1856665E-7FD8-4DCE-89F2-B779366EB19C.jpeg.bd033a0d041bb676a25a442d8efcf53a.jpeg

wood shims even hardwood shims can compress.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 12:18 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

For #2 can you show a photo?  How far off is it in terms of stacks of paper or something?

I would think that when it was constructed it may have shifted or may no longer be level in a pretty bad spot.  (I sent a video via DM of a similar tank failure)

Depending if the tank is on something, a pad, etc. to help balance the load along the length of the tank, I can't really say right now that I would trust the stand. The other question I have is whether this is a 4 leg (one on each corner) or 6-8 leg stand?  Is the middle of the stand loading the floor?

Welcome to the forums, also!!!

Thanks for the reply and the welcome nabokovfan87 (Nabokov was awesome),

Thanks as well for sending the video - I think the major difference between my situation and that one (aside from his tank being absolutely massive!) is that all 4 corners of my tank are in contact with the stand (his was lifted in one corner causing quite a bit of torque as I understand it).

I can slide about 4 or 5 pieces of printer paper in the gap between the stand and center rim.
The tank is not on a pad. My understanding is a pad under a trimmed tank can actually cause problems. The stand has no "legs" per say, but a rectangular frame of 2x4s in contact with the floor. That frame is connected to the stand top by 10 supporting 2x4s (2 in each corner and one center support front and back).

On 8/21/2022 at 7:55 AM, Atitagain said:

Is this set up on carpet or a floating floor? Both could cause it being level then out of level when weight is added.I would recommend draining the tank re level the stand using composite shims and keep check on level as your filling every 20% of water-ish. Only making very minimal adjustments as you add more water. The more water added the more chance moving will cause stress on seams and corners.10251DAA-69E2-44F5-A66A-23EFB3C36AE7.png.b952e02b00bcc99aa4cd8d814c89b51b.png

1856665E-7FD8-4DCE-89F2-B779366EB19C.jpeg.bd033a0d041bb676a25a442d8efcf53a.jpeg

wood shims even hardwood shims can compress.

thanks very much!
In your opinion, how important is it that a rimmed tank is level? I have heard it is less important than the surface being true (which mine doesn't seem to be anyway! lol).. but then I've also read that as long as all four corners are in solid contact, I should be fine. It's all very confusing for this noob.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 10:27 AM, Pepere said:

It would drive me to no end of distraction when the water level was below the rim in some areas…

I would never be able to leave it like that. My CDO wouldn't let me. (CDO isan intensified form of OCD.  Because itbis intensified the letters in the acronym are alphabetized like they should be.)

oh, I am with you on the water line. it's just that my first priority is the safety of the thing.

well with tanks, sometime you have to deal with ABC (always being crooked). you are dealing with the stand, and the floor, so when you start out level, once you add water it can and more than likely will move some. try to level as close as you can, but perfection is not required. you for sure want the tank to sit on a flat surface though.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2022 at 6:38 AM, DIYDan said:

In your opinion, how important is it that a rimmed tank is level? I have heard it is less important than the surface being true (which mine doesn't seem to be anyway! lol).. but then I've also read that as long as all four corners are in solid contact, I should be fine. It's all very confusing for this noob.

If you can get it within 1/8" at worst case, with 1/2 the tank full, then I believe you'll be ok.  It is a 75G tank, quite a bit of weight going to the floor, but like you mentioned it's not nearly as bad as the other video.  If you need to you can use shims on the floor.  I would just be aware of having the pad on the top of the stand to do a few things.  On my 75 I just use a cut up yoga mat. You can use a toolbox liner as well, similar material.  I use it to keep the random drops of water on the pad and not the wood.  Depending on how you do things you will have some water get underneath it if you have a big spill.  With a rimmed tank, you just don't want to use something so thick that it's going to put pressure on the bottom panel (or have any chance to touch it) like styrafoam would.  At worst case all the pad is doing is protecting the stand, but at best case it evens out some inconsistencies or screwheads that might pop a tank.  King of Diy had a tank pop because he had a little pebble get under the pad.  😞

Just be sure to level the stand itself, then verify the level of the tank.  Getting that in one direction and reducing that torsional load is your best bed.  If you need to add some legs in the middle of the stand, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

This is the one I have. (6 legs total)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/716INA2tZGL._AC_SL1250_.jpg

On 8/21/2022 at 9:38 AM, DIYDan said:

In your opinion, how important is it that a rimmed tank is level? I have heard it is less important than the surface being true

Being on a true surface would be more important so that all 4 corners touch. The way I understand it, all the pressure is directed to the corners. But being absolutely level is only way to distribute weight evenly. Can it be slightly out? I would say no, long term I think it could cause problems and not “oh I spilled a bit of water with the net” kind of problem but (insert how many gallons your tank is) that kind of problem.

I am not an expert by any means just how I look at it to be safe. But I’m also a finish carpenter so perfect level is kind of in my blood. For some reason I love it when I’m filling a tank and use the rim as a leveling marker and it’s perfect no matter the size of the tank.69E73FCC-C273-4AC4-A4C4-0A644D871EEB.jpeg.a1fa47b593942449880bd9c4f8fe65e7.jpeg

I agree with @Atitagainand I think the bigger the tank the more important it is. I do don’t have the skills he does. I like to use leveling pads on all my tanks and they really help. The sell them at many special aquarium stores online. Im not sure that would work in this case because it would be so much work. I have never had any issues with them. I don’t think one would correct 1/4” but they do help when it’s just off a little and you don’t get one end that shows glass and the other end the water is above the rim on the other. 

• Like 1