Fin rot

mona

I am a horrible fish Mommy. I did not pay attention to my Betta until I figured out he had fin rot and by then it was too late and this is what has happened to him. I completely cleaned his tank he's swimming around now he's happy he's alert he's eating again. I feel bad enough I know it's my fault but will he grow his fins back I read on the internet that if the fins get close to the body they won't grow back and as you can see his fins are close to the body I don't know what's up with this top and bottom fan they don't look right either. Anybody know if they'll grow back is there something I'm supposed to be doing that I haven't done already

IMG_20220820_141129_2.jpg

I will tell you about my experience with my Betta and Fin Rot. Though his didn't reach his body, his fins looked pretty shredded. At that point, I decided to remove him from the tak and put him in a 3g quarantine tab (I couldn't treat his tank because of Nerite Snail and Ghost Shrimp)..

I treated him with Aquarium Salt. Since his fins were pretty bad, I started with the 2nd step of aquarium salt dosing (1TBS per 2 gallons of water. since he was in a 3 gallon = 1 1/2 TBS) for 7 days. When I didn't see improvement, I then did a water change and then began  1TBS per gallon treatment for 7 days. His fin rot stopped progressing. I did a 30% water change every day and replaced it with clean dechlorinated water (no salt) for a 4 days, to make sure there was no salt and kept an eye to make sure there was no more progression. After 5 days, I placed him back into his (freshly cleaned and extremely vacuumed ) tank. I also decided to add tannins to his water, as I had learned that it was beneficial. I kept an eye out and was diligent in keeping his water parameters pristine. He finally recovered and 'most' of his fins have grown back. the edges are a little tattered, but ... he is an old Betta. Sometimes, they don't fully get their fins back, sometimes they do.

• Thanks 1

Clean, clean, clean water (Small water changes everyday), along with salt car really help stop fin rot, and allow the fins to grow back. (This takes time.) In your case, I'd consider medicating with Kanaplex as well, since the regression is so close to the body. Once it turns into body rot, the chance of the fish pulling through are much lower.

Edited by quikv6
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it can....though eating is a good sign, along with an opportunity to add some meds to the food. Colu had posted a good recipe for adding Kanaplex to the food. I think that would be a good suggestion in this case, along with salt and clean water.

• Like 1

@monadont despair. My bettas has had a few bouts of fin rot while I figured out how best to care for him. His fins were tattered before I left for vacation after his last episode and when I returned 2.5 wks later they had grown back!

I am a believer in having some salt in the tank at all times. My betta lives in a 10g tank with artificial decor.