Guppies from chain stores

Nz1986

Hello. I have been having an issue with guppies lately every time I buy a new one or two they die within a week. They are from the big box stores and never the best starting out, they seem like they are doing fine when they get acclimated but within a few days their stomach start to sink in then they pass away. Is this a problem with internal parasites?

Could be so definitely quarantine and treat...but honestly live bearers mass imported by the chains are just terrible in general.  Find a source for local bred Guppies and you will have much better luck.  The last ones I bought came from Michaels Fish Room.  They came in great.  

Edited by Gwallace

On 8/18/2022 at 8:35 PM, Gwallace said:

Could be so definitely quarantine and treat...but honestly live bearers mass imported by the chains are just terrible in general.  Find a source for local bred Guppies and you will have much better luck.  The last ones I bought came from Michaels Fish Room.  They came in great.  

Just be forewarned, if you watch Michael's Fish Room unboxing videos on YouTube, he's now importing and reselling imported guppies more than breeding his own. This is pretty common with many hobby breeders. They end up with too many customers and to meet demand they start importing fish rather than breeding fish. It makes sense for them as they can keep customers happy by always having fish in stock. It's not a bad thing as long as the fish you get are good fish, but they may not be "locally bred" even if bought from a local breeder. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...