Zebra Danios

20 Tall Phishman

Hi there! I have 6 zebra Danios and 2 Honey Gourami’s that I was told we’re really thicklipped Gourami’s in a 20 gallon tank. I had the danios in a QT before moving to my 20 gallon. They laid eggs in the QT and now I have babies. Once these babies are grown up, how many total Zebra Danios can go in my 20 with my Gourami’s?

thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 2:51 PM, 20 Tall Phishman said:

Hi there! I have 6 zebra Danios and 2 Honey Gourami’s that I was told we’re really thicklipped Gourami’s in a 20 gallon tank. I had the danios in a QT before moving to my 20 gallon. They laid eggs in the QT and now I have babies. Once these babies are grown up, how many total Zebra Danios can go in my 20 with my Gourami’s?

thanks in advance! 

From what I've read (I don't currently own any Zebra Danios) Is for a 20g tank species only, you could have up to 12, but if there are any other fish (and you have 2 Gourami already) then 6 is your max. You may want to either move the Gourami to a 10 gallon tank to themselves, or depending on how many Zebra Fry you have, you may want to get a tank just for them.

• Thanks 1

With adequate hiding places and proper filtration I would think you could easily handle 12 adult Danios with the Gourami. You already know that the Danios are very active, and the Gourami also need their space.  Keep in mind that Gourami are omnivores, so it may not go well for the young Danios.  I agree with @FLFishChik on moving the Gourami to a separate tank if possible.

• Thanks 1

I currently have a bunch of fishies swimming around in my community tank (17gal). What do you have in your tank in terms of filtration, hardscape and plants? I think that the surface area (aka bacteria real estate), hiding spaces, and plants (which provide surface area, hiding places, and soak up waste) play a big role in what you can keep together.

I guess folk might say mine is overstocked, but I have a jungle of plants low and creeping into midwater as well as lots of floating plants (dwarf water lettuce and water sprite).

There are currently
6 zebra danios (3 striped, 2 with dots, 1 greybino)
4 bronze corydoras
2 male fancy guppies
1 male variatus platy
1 male teacup platy
1 male gold dust molly
1 otocinclus

All of them get along just fine, and the water is clean. It's really cool watching danios zipping through the vegetation. You should be able to keep more danios if you want to.

As for those babies, keep them away from the parents and gouramis. Danios are notorious egg eaters, and fry are just food that swim slowly.

• Like 2